Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: MO and the Tragically Hip

Derek K. Miller Derek K. Miller" <dkmiller@pobox.com
Sun, 19 May 2002 15:25:28 -0700

2002/5/19 1:01 PM saw Serandipitey@aol.com write:

> I was noticing, reading the reviews from the Edmonton show, a couple of
> comparisons between the Oils and the Hip. I was thinking some time ago that
> the Hip are the closest thing we have to MO in Canada. They both attempt to
> take the essense of their country and put it into words. The Oils sing about
> the desert and Australian politics and the Hip sing about, well, hockey...
> Anyway I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed similarities.
> No word on any Eastern Canadian shows yet? Still hoping...

Well, there's a good reason the two bands co-headlined the "Another Roadside
Attraction" tour across Canada back in '93 (the last time I saw them before
this month), and made the "Land" fundraising CD single for B.C.'s Clayoquot
Sound rainforest, together with the other acts from that tour.

A review 'round about that time in "Musician" magazine (I think it was) from
the States also said that Gord Downie, lead singer for the Hip, has a
"close-your-eyes-and-it's-Peter Garrett voice."

So people have noticed the similarities, certainly. Both bands included.

--
Derek K. Miller - dkmiller@pobox.com
Writer, Editor, Web Guy, Drummer, Dad -  Vancouver, Canada

"I'm learning to love the language
 So full it's about to explode."
                                - Joan Osborne