Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] SEATTLE SHOW!

John Roth III jr3winlocker@earthlink.net
Mon, 13 May 2002 00:29:10 -0700

Portland and Seattle back to back... oooooh-yeah!!!

Got to Portland early and had a bite to eat at the Roseland before the show.
Had a chance to meet and talk a bit with Martin and Jim - what fine fellows.
Peter came in a bit later and took time to chat and sign some things for
folks.  "No worries"...

Stood up at the stage for the show - definitely the place to be.  Great fun!

On to Seattle...

Ran into Jim and Rob on the street after sound check.  Nice that they had a
warm sunny day in Seattle.  These have been tough to come by this spring.

Other set tidbits...
Jim intro'd Mosquito March with Crocodile Cries.  Peter had a good rant on
the NRA (and more) at the outset of the second encore - something along the
lines of "perverters of American democracy".  He seemed in particularly fine
form that whole night.  Just kept feeding off things, all over the stage
(Bones uses some darn tricky footwork in avoidance mode...), out on the edge
of the stage more than once, and really stretched the vocals.

The new material seems more solid since last fall and worked really well
with the things known and loved.  Overpass was great live!  And I really
like the live warmth and "shimmer" of Golden Age - that Rick...

Aaaaahhhhh..... does it get any better? Only wish I could have continued to
the north.

My first Oils show was at the same venue in Seattle on the ESM tour -
totally kicked then too!  Although I've listened since 10-9... I kick myself
for not getting started on the live version much earlier.  Fun to imagine
what these guys were like in the old days.  How many venues have they burned
to the ground?

John
Winlock, WA