Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] San Jose Mercury News coverage

NanCohen@aol.com NanCohen@aol.com
Tue, 7 May 2002 14:01:48 EDT

This appeared in this morning's Mercury News in advance of the Warfield show
tonight.  Nice coverage by Brad Kava, the music columnist, who often inveighs
against commercial radio and commercialized music.

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/entertainment/3213155.htm

Posted on Tue, May. 07, 2002

Midnight Oil battles for independence, viability

By Brad Kava
Mercury News

``This is real music made by real people. This isn't a commercial for
Cadillac or a soft drink.''

Australian rocker Peter Garrett is reminding audience members at a recent
show at Great America that when they see his band Midnight Oil, which comes
to the Warfield Theater on Tuesday, they are seeing something rare.

Maybe Garrett, a tall praying mantis of a guy, sees the irony of an
environmentalist playing an amusement park that got development permission in
part because the city of Santa Clara considered the use ``open space.''

But as Garrett well knows, it's impossible to stay completely pure in this
business.
He has run for political office in Australia; he's the president of the
Australian Conservation Foundation, his country's version of the Sierra Club.

His band, which had a political slant and anthemic guitars similar to U2's,
was a mainstay of FM rock radio in the late 1980s. But it never quite had the
mainstream power, or the hits, of the Irish band.

Its sales peaks were the 1987 album ``Diesel and Dust,'' which sold 4.9
million copies, and 1990's ``Blue Sky Mining,'' which sold 2.6 million
copies. The group's sales have fallen off sharply since, although the music
remains intelligent, rocking and vital.

Now, Midnight Oil is another veteran rock band without a major label. Its
latest album, ``Capricornia,'' was put out on an indie label and distributed
in the United States by Sony.

``The point of the battle is to be out there,'' he says in a phone interview.
``Whether a band like Midnight Oil will survive is very much an open
question.''

Assertive leader

Garrett has used his band as a bully pulpit for environmental and political
issues, but -- unlike many of his peers -- he has gone so far as to stop
shows because he didn't like the way the audience was acting.

At Berkeley's Greek Theater in the 1990s, he refused to play unless fans he
saw assaulting women in the mosh pit were escorted out of the theater. Most
other bands ignored similar behavior, leading to a debacle at Woodstock III
in which women were raped and assaulted in public but musicians took no
responsibility.

``It's certainly not a case of wanting to restrict the audience. It's a case
of saying there's an inequity of aggression at play and that runs counter to
what Midnight Oil is about,'' Garrett says. ``I've always felt no one else is
going to stop it or take responsibility for the audience. You have to do it
yourself.''

It hasn't always been easy, or lucrative to be a band that stood for
something, especially when those around you are racing to sell everything
they've got to anyone who will pay.

``I don't know what's gotten into our major artists. They certainly don't
need the money. Maybe the little Neil Young, Pearl Jam, Midnight Oil club
doesn't seem that much fun to be in.''

Garrett fears a day when bands will be sponsored from inception by major
corporations.

``Whether it's jeans or soft drinks or toxic waste, they won't see anything
wrong with it. It will be corporate music. You'll hear it on hold when you
call the company. Bands will be discovered by a bunch of marketing guys and
gals trying to design Muzak for their corporation.

``There's never been a time when music was more straitjacketed, and artists
only care about the unquenchable desire for fame and success. And, unlike the
days when there were other benefactors, Enron is no Medici, Bill Gates is no
Austrian duke.''

Going with the flow

The band's current album is based on a book of the same name by Xavier
Herbert about a clash of cultures in Northern Australia. Though it has upbeat
moments, the ultimate message, Garrett says, is that you can't stop the tide.
``You can ride it, but you can't stand in the way or you will drown.''

Literary themes, the plight of the downtrodden and the environment aren't the
recipe for Britney Spears-like pop success, but they have built a small but
devoted following for the Oils. It has kept them selling records since 1975.

``I didn't expect Midnight Oil to last this long,'' Garrett says. ``But we
were never in the business so we could drive a Cabriolet but because we love
hearing the intersection between words and sounds, and we love seeing it go
through a little hole in people's heads and making their feet move.''

He figures, they have to sell 100,000 copies of the album to make a profit
and stay on the road. The band is getting some local airplay on KFOG.

And if the money dries up, Garrett says, the band will still want to tour.
``Midnight Oil, cyber troubadours, busking in a hall near you. When the
economy dries up, you'll find us on the back of a flatbed truck playing for
cans of food.''