Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Photos / memories

Matthew Marzullo mmarzullo@usa.com
Thu, 02 May 2002 08:59:52 -0500

Hi all--

Regarding the photo issue...I took some photos of the band back in fall '93 (or was it early '94?) during my senior year at the University of Florida...the Oils played a free outdoor concert at the bandshell on campus.  I had to hold the camera above my head and hope I was aiming it correctly. I wasn't close enough to zero in on individual band members, but I got 5 shots or so of the entire stage. I even used the flash! :)

What I remember most about the day, however, was the soundcheck.  I lived on campus less than 200 yards away from the bandshell stage (in a big grass field). I was taking a nap (lazy college student that I was) and awoke to an instrumental version of 'Bullroarer.'  I woke up pretty stoked and couldn't sit still until the concert started.  At the time, I owned one album - D&D - and knew a few songs from other albums (thanks to MTV, back when they used to play the Oils' videos). Well, I was blown away.  That concert converted me from a casual fan to the huge fan that I am today.

After the show, the Oils hung out back stage for a while.  Their bus was parked right outside my apartment, and I sat at the living room window waiting for the guys to come out.  One by one, they all strolled up to the bus.  I wanted to go outside and try to talk, but there were too many people hanging around.  I remember Bones had a rather good-looking blonde at his side.  Pete was the last to emerge, and ran all the way from backstage to the bus (about 100 yards or so), holding a beer in one hand, and holding his hat down against his head with the other so it wouldn't blow off.

The photos look like crap, but they still bring back some pretty cool memories...

Matt
--

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup