Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] My mom's first impression of the OIls...from Letterman

Bawolski@aol.com Bawolski@aol.com
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 12:00:24 EST

--part1_7c.256d9eb8.29d74928_boundary

In a message dated 3/29/2002 9:49:13 AM Pacific Standard Time,
kayak@sympatico.ca writes:

> I'm trying to convert my mom into the Domain of Oildom, and pushed her
> to watch them on Letterman the other night (when doofus me ended up
> falling asleep)....she did, out of curiosity, and emailed me with her
> impressions the next day as follows:
>
> "They only sang one song and I have no idea what it was.  A group of
> semi-old dudes, comparatively speaking.  Lead singer looks like he has
> just completed chemo and has some kind of spastic movement he can't
> control, so I won't poke too much fun. ;-)  Poor man."
>
> I had to then give her an education on PG, which expanded into a
> near-half-hour discourse on the Oils.  Coulda gone on, but I think I'll
> just plop her down in front of their 20,000 Watt RSL DVD & make her
> watch it.  I'm sure then she'll see the light! hehe
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rhonda :-)
>
> PS...I think she's half-hooked now anyway...at least she agrees that
> Hirsty is hot!

That's great.  When I was a teenager, around 30-some years ago, I used to
try to legitimize the music I listened to by playing certain things for my
folks and telling them they might like it.  (Don't know why now, isn't the
whole
idea to listen to music that pisses your parents off, kind of like kids and
their
rap music now?).  Anyway, being a big Who fan I'd always play them the
Overture from Tommy.  They thought it was ok, but I can still hear my Dad
telling me that that kind of music would never last.  Guess he was wrong.
My Mom turned 75 last week and she just bought a Beatles CD for herself!

As far as Midnight Oil is concerned, well my wife isn't what I'd call
a big fan, she never listens to their music unless I am.  But
she's gone with me to see them quite a few times because:
1)  She too thinks Rob is a hotty.
2)  She is thoroughly entertained by Peter (as long as he doesn't block her
     view of Rob.
3)  The faint hope that they will play her favorite MO tune (Earth & Sun &
Moon).
4)  She too thinks Rob is a hotty.

Mike

--part1_7c.256d9eb8.29d74928_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 3/29/2002 9:49:13 AM Pacific Standard Time, kayak@sympatico.ca writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">I'm trying to convert my mom into the Domain of Oildom, and pushed her<BR>
to watch them on Letterman the other night (when doofus me ended up<BR>
falling asleep)....she did, out of curiosity, and emailed me with her<BR>
impressions the next day as follows:<BR>
<BR>
"They only sang one song and I have no idea what it was.&nbsp; A group of<BR>
semi-old dudes, comparatively speaking.&nbsp; Lead singer looks like he has<BR>
just completed chemo and has some kind of spastic movement he can't<BR>
control, so I won't poke too much fun. ;-)&nbsp; Poor man."<BR>
<BR>
I had to then give her an education on PG, which expanded into a<BR>
near-half-hour discourse on the Oils.&nbsp; Coulda gone on, but I think I'll<BR>
just plop her down in front of their 20,000 Watt RSL DVD &amp; make her<BR>
watch it.&nbsp; I'm sure then she'll see the light! hehe<BR>
<BR>
Cheers,<BR>
<BR>
Rhonda :-)<BR>
<BR>
PS...I think she's half-hooked now anyway...at least she agrees that<BR>
Hirsty is hot!<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
That's great.&nbsp; When I was a teenager, around 30-some years ago, I used to<BR>
try to legitimize the music I listened to by playing certain things for my<BR>
folks and telling them they might like it.&nbsp; (Don't know why now, isn't the whole<BR>
idea to listen to music that pisses your parents off, kind of like kids and their<BR>
rap music now?).&nbsp; Anyway, being a big Who fan I'd always play them the <BR>
Overture from Tommy.&nbsp; They thought it was ok, but I can still hear my Dad<BR>
telling me that that kind of music would never last.&nbsp; Guess he was wrong.<BR>
My Mom turned 75 last week and she just bought a Beatles CD for herself!<BR>
<BR>
As far as Midnight Oil is concerned, well my wife isn't what I'd call<BR>
a big fan, she never listens to their music unless I am.&nbsp; But<BR>
she's gone with me to see them quite a few times because:<BR>
1)&nbsp; She too thinks Rob is a hotty.<BR>
2)&nbsp; She is thoroughly entertained by Peter (as long as he doesn't block her<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; view of Rob.<BR>
3)&nbsp; The faint hope that they will play her favorite MO tune (Earth &amp; Sun &amp; Moon).<BR>
4)&nbsp; She too thinks Rob is a hotty.<BR>
<BR>
Mike<BR>
<BR>
<BR>