Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Oils/INXS.

Geoffrey Holland geoff13@shaw.ca
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 22:18:28 -0800

--Boundary_(ID_cHqXlHqZ9hYAscwK48SMew)

of course INXS messed up their comeback to America tour when they were supposed to be touring with the Oils and Men At Work by insisiting on being the headliners, even with a new singer! Thank god that tour never happened, eh? It'll be interesting to see the reaction (or most likely, lack of reaction) to a Hutchence less INXS touring America...I cannot see them getting over at all well...I mean let's face it, without Michael they're just a bunch of flabby pub rocker wannabees! They probably even play golf!

Geoffrey
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jo Daley
  To: powderworks@cs.colorado.edu
  Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2002 9:50 PM
  Subject: [Powderworks] Oils/INXS.

  The following is a little snippet of an interview that was in MX, the paper handed out for free in Mlebourne, in the afternoons. Everyday there is a quick q & a with someone different. It was a bit of promotion for Tim Farriss as he was headlining a guitar festival at Frankston on that weekend.

  Q.Who among your  80's rivals in the Oz rock industry did you most admire?

  A.The only band I'd compare INXS with in terms of work ethic and dedication to succeed is AC/DC. They have put in a hell of a lot of work over a long period of time. Cold Chisel were great and they did well in Australia, but they couldn't do what we did.

  Q. You mean make it in the States?

  A.Yeah. While we were working our butts off they were arguing among themselves or not willing to put in the time. That's why Midnight Oil didn't make it overseas. They were happy with that and good on them, but it meant they never cracked it overseas.

  Q.INXS has announced a 40-city tour of the US. Considering the band had seven top 10 hits there you must be looking forward to returning?

  A. It brings back good and bad memories.The States are the States.They can be a bitch.But if you want to work as a rock band and acheive global success you have to go there. If you don't you're never going to get anywhere. I f you're happy with that- that's fine.

  !!!!!!!! What do others think?

  Jo.

  PS. This reminds me of a cover of the old Juke magazine in Aus when D&D came out. The headline was "Getting a Tan"which was apparently what Chris Murphy the INXS manager said the Oils were doing while INXS were hard at work. I still have the cover at home.

  "On the fields and farms of England, on the airstrips of the desert and the jungle, in the hangars of the Persian Gulf and on the tarmacs of the southern islands, I have walked and talked with God."

  Tom Cutter. Round The Bend, Nevil Shute.

--Boundary_(ID_cHqXlHqZ9hYAscwK48SMew)

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>of course INXS messed up their comeback to America
tour when they were supposed to be touring with the Oils and Men At Work by
insisiting on being the headliners, even with a new singer! Thank god that tour
never happened,&nbsp;eh? It'll be interesting to see the reaction (or most
likely, lack of reaction) to a Hutchence less INXS touring America...I cannot
see them getting over at all well...I mean let's face it, without Michael
they're just a bunch of flabby pub rocker wannabees! They probably even play
golf!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Geoffrey</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV
  style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><B>From:</B>
  <A title=joeydaley@hotmail.com href="mailto:joeydaley@hotmail.com">Jo
  Daley</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A title=powderworks@cs.colorado.edu
  href="mailto:powderworks@cs.colorado.edu">powderworks@cs.colorado.edu</A>
  </DIV>
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, March 28, 2002 9:50
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> [Powderworks] Oils/INXS.</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV>
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV></DIV>
  <P>The following is a little snippet of an interview that was in&nbsp;MX, the
  paper handed out for free in Mlebourne, in the afternoons. Everyday there is a
  quick q &amp; a with someone different. It was a bit of promotion for Tim
  Farriss as he was headlining a guitar festival at Frankston on that weekend.
  </P>
  <P>Q.Who among your&nbsp; 80's rivals in the Oz rock industry did you most
  admire?</P>
  <P>A.The only band I'd compare INXS with in terms of work ethic and dedication
  to succeed is AC/DC. They have put in a hell of a lot of work over a long
  period of time. Cold Chisel were great and they did well in Australia, but
  they couldn't do what we did.</P>
  <P>Q. You mean make it in the States?</P>
  <P>A.Yeah. While we were working our butts off they were arguing among
  themselves or not willing to put in the time. That's why Midnight Oil didn't
  make it overseas. They were happy with that and good on them, but it meant
  they never cracked it overseas.</P>
  <P>Q.INXS has announced a 40-city tour of the US. Considering the band had
  seven top 10 hits there you must be looking forward to returning?</P>
  <P>A. It brings back good and bad memories.The States are the States.They can
  be a bitch.But if you want to work as a rock band and acheive global success
  you have to go there. If you don't you're never going to get anywhere. I f
  you're happy with that- that's fine.</P>
  <P>!!!!!!!! What do others think?</P>
  <P>Jo.</P>
  <P>PS. This reminds me of a cover of the old Juke magazine in Aus when D&amp;D
  came out. The headline was "Getting a Tan"which was apparently what Chris
  Murphy the INXS manager said the Oils were doing while INXS were hard at work.
  I still have the cover at home.</P>
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face="Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif" color=#cc0000>"On the fields and
  farms of England, on the airstrips of the desert and the jungle, in the
  hangars of the Persian Gulf and on the tarmacs of the southern islands, I have
  walked and talked with God."</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face="Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif" color=#cc0000></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face="Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif" color=#cc0000>Tom Cutter. Round
  The Bend, Nevil Shute.<BR></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV></DIV></DIV><BR clear=all>
  <HR>
  Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at <A
  href="http://g.msn.com/1HM301201/10">http://explorer.msn.com</A>.<BR>_______________________________________________