Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Washington Compost Review of Capricornia

fish_oil@space.com fish_oil@space.com
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 15:50:14 -0800 (PST)

RE: the rot in the compost review:

It's a no win situation - if the Oils had included some explicit commentary on a specific event like the WTC attack, then those same critics would likely have pounced on them for blatantly cashing in on the tragedy, etc.  In fact, I remember PG being interviewed on Much Music c.1988, reflecting on how the American public/critics were saying the Oils were not relevant precisely because they WERE making political statements in their music. "who cares if you can play!" Like I said, it's a no win situation, critically/cynically speaking.
and therein lies the trap of cynicism, eh? Critics who believe they get paid to bitch...

cheers,

bruce

<pre>
Join the Space Program: Get FREE E-mail at http://www.space.com.</pre></pre>