Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Malcolm Burn & Breathe

skaghevn choose.yr.poison@rogers.com
Fri, 08 Mar 2002 14:36:43 -0500

Stephen Scott wrote:

> I was wondering does anyone know much about the Breath
> producer Malcolm Burn?

Malcolm used to play in a Toronto band called "Boys Brigade",
and they put out a self titled album in '83. While the album
did well (in Canada at least), the band soon broke up, a victim
of competing egos and artistic visions. In hindsight, it was bound
to happen, given the size of the band (7 members, 3 playing
percussion).

By '88, he had hooked up with Daniel Lanois, who served as
his mentor in the art of studio production, and had a solo
album out, "Redemption". Again, the album was well received
in Canada, but Malcolm chose to take the engineer/producer
route instead. He's worked on an awful lot of albums since,
and has done some session work, mostly on the same albums
that he was hired to engineer/produce. Assuming things haven't
changed since last I heard, he's been residing in New Orleans
for several years now.

Cheers, Rob