Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Start of tour, risks, John Entwistle, the Who, etc...

Kate Adams kate@dnki.net
Sat, 29 Jun 2002 16:00:12 -0400

--=====================_166535004==_.ALT

<radical epidemiologist hat on>

It is much easier to ascribe early death to our presumptions about personal
behavior than it is to ask the larger questions about human health and the
socioeconomic, cultural, and environmental factors which influence it.

It is also very difficult to take information based on population studies
and then attribute personal risks.  Too many researchers do this
themselves, let alone members of the press and general public.  Moral
attribution is a distraction from the wider issues in public health.  If
people had sat around tsk tsking people who died of cholera for not washing
their hands properly, we wouldn't have public sewer systems now.

<professional hat off>

I find it a bit creepy that they are moving on with the tour, but I can
understand that people sometimes find it easier to throw themselves into
their work for a while before their grieving process takes hold.

I was pretty shocked about Entwistle's demise.  Its too bad that he seems
to have split the difference between dying before getting old.  My
high-school speech team, which travelled often, played the Who incessantly
(along with the Stones and the Kinks, which I liked less).  Its burned into
my brain with a lot of good memories.

More recently, when I was in the hospital last March and feeling very
disoriented, sick, in pain, and desperately low, the local public
television station played a Who concert from a couple of years back.  It
really pulled me up and out of a nasty spell to just ride and groove on
their familiar but still kick-ass songs, especially with some younger
punk-rockers weighing in on their older works of seminal punk attitude.  It
got me thinking, insofar as I could think with a 39+ C temp at the time,
about how much of the music I dearly love from artists I continue to admire
grew out of their stripped-down, emotionally direct and in your face
style.  And about the power of music to lift me up, energize me, and salve
my soul when nothing else is there for me.  Its actually one of the few
things I remember clearly from that week.

The Who may be half gone, but they are the DNA of the punk rock world and
that will never be forgotten.

At 12:23 PM 6/29/02 -0700, David A. Brass wrote:

>Sorry to upset anyone if I did with the earlier post.  Travelling is
>generally no more stressfull than staying put...I have recently found it
>to be less so.  However a friend with the same conclusions found out about
>the risks of travelling when returning to Cal from Dave Matthews band
>tour...stepped onto Flight 77 in Wash. DC on 9-11-2001 (crashed into the
>Pentagon).  Needless to say he never made it home.  So there are the
>inescapable inevitabilites...not that they are any greater.
>
>I noticed that MidOil members seem to be in exceptional health too...
>
>Have not seen the Who in years...last times were in 1982(Orlando, FLA) and
>1989(Oakland, CAL) and were exceptional shows but, quite large (held in
>football stadiums).  I guess that thier resumption of tour is a good
>idea...who is filling in for John Entwistle???
>
>I leave for 1st Eureka, CAL in 1 hour, then on 7-1 it's off to Chicago via
>SF...it's going to be a long but, scenic haul...using a Greyhound
>Ameripass for this tour...
>
>Take care...will be able to do PW and other email using my cellphone's
>wireless web although my posts will be quite short...uisng a numeric pad
>to type with is hard and time consuming...
>
>David A. Brass  Bellingham, Washington
>
>   ALEXEI <alexeis@usa.net> wrote:
>>Come on, Dave, take it easy, don't bury anyone yet, including yourself. The
>>limits of human endurance are unpredictable... somebody who consumes
>>cholesterol by spoonfuls may well outlive others, cautious about buying an
>>extra milligram of fat-containing food. Surely, the rock culture has its
>>excesses, temptations, etc. but then, what walk of life doesn't? Musicians
>>are not the only ones doing a lot of travel, and many of them treat
>>touring as
>>not just an inexorable part of their lives, but also as a very pleasant and
>>natural thing to do... I'm not sure being a stay-at-home is healthier than
>>living through a constant stream of new, uplifting emotions, seeing new
>>countries, making small personal discoveries. Physically tiring, yes, but who
>>knows the secret ways of Mr. Adrenalin?
>>
>>Midnight Oil are in fine shape, from what I saw. Bones looks... errr...
>>w! eathered but energy spills there as well.
>>
>>I remember Rick Grossman to have said in a chat that John Entwistle was the
>>"driving force for me to start playing. His bass sounded like a jet plane
>>taking off."
>>
>>Alexei
>>

>> > It is simply the passing of the times. All the drugs, travelling, etc do
>> > have a cumulative effect. While drugs do not appear to be a factor for
>> > MidOil the others are inevitable. I hope I go out before any MidOil
>> > members do...David A Brass Bellingham, Washington

><http://rd.yahoo.com/welcome/*http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/fc/en/spl>Sign-up
>for Video Highlights of 2002 FIFA World Cup

Kate Parker Adams
kate@dnki.net
"She's gonna dream of the world she wants to live in,
She's gonna dream out loud" - U2 (Zooropa)

--=====================_166535004==_.ALT

&lt;radical epidemiologist hat on&gt;<br>
It is much easier to ascribe early death to our presumptions about
personal behavior than it is to ask the larger questions about human
health and the socioeconomic, cultural, and environmental factors which
influence it.&nbsp; <br>
It is also very difficult to take information based on population studies
and then attribute personal risks.&nbsp; Too many researchers do this
themselves, let alone members of the press and general public.&nbsp;
Moral attribution is a distraction from the wider issues in public
health.&nbsp; If people had sat around tsk tsking people who died of
cholera for not washing their hands properly, we wouldn't have public
sewer systems now.<br>
&lt;professional hat off&gt;<br>
I find it a bit creepy that they are moving on with the tour, but I can
understand that people sometimes find it easier to throw themselves into
their work for a while before their grieving process takes hold.<br>
I was pretty shocked about Entwistle's demise.&nbsp; Its too bad that he
seems to have split the difference between dying before getting
old.&nbsp; My high-school speech team, which travelled often, played the
Who incessantly (along with the Stones and the Kinks, which I liked
less).&nbsp; Its burned into my brain with a lot of good memories.<br>
More recently, when I was in the hospital last March and feeling very
disoriented, sick, in pain, and desperately low, the local public
television station played a Who concert from a couple of years
back.&nbsp; It really pulled me up and out of a nasty spell to just ride
and groove on their familiar but still kick-ass songs, especially with
some younger punk-rockers weighing in on their older works of seminal
punk attitude.&nbsp; It got me thinking, insofar as I could think with a
39+ C temp at the time, about how much of the music I dearly love from
artists I continue to admire grew out of their stripped-down, emotionally
direct and in your face style.&nbsp; And about the power of music to lift
me up, energize me, and salve my soul when nothing else is there for
me.&nbsp; Its actually one of the few things I remember clearly from that
week.<br>
The Who may be half gone, but they are the DNA of the punk rock world and
that will never be forgotten.<br>
At 12:23 PM 6/29/02 -0700, David A. Brass wrote:<br>
the earlier post.&nbsp; Travelling is generally no more stressfull than
staying put...I have recently found it to be less so.&nbsp; However a
friend with the same conclusions found out about the risks of travelling
when returning to Cal from Dave Matthews band tour...stepped onto Flight
77 in Wash. DC on 9-11-2001 (crashed into the Pentagon).&nbsp; Needless
to say he never made it home.&nbsp; So there are the inescapable
inevitabilites...not that they are any greater.&nbsp; <br>
I noticed that MidOil members seem to be in exceptional health too...
Have not seen the Who in years...last times were in 1982(Orlando, FLA)
and 1989(Oakland, CAL) and were exceptional shows but, quite large (held
in football stadiums).&nbsp; I guess that thier resumption of tour is a
good idea...who is filling in for John Entwistle??? <br>
I leave for 1st Eureka, CAL in 1 hour, then on 7-1 it's off to Chicago
via SF...it's going to be a long but, scenic haul...using a Greyhound
Ameripass for this tour... <br>
Take care...will be able to do PW and other email using my cellphone's
wireless web although my posts will be quite short...uisng a numeric pad
to type with is hard and time consuming... <br>
David A. Brass&nbsp; Bellingham, Washington <br>
bury anyone yet, including yourself. The<br>
limits of human endurance are unpredictable... somebody who
consumes<br>
cholesterol by spoonfuls may well outlive others, cautious about buying
an<br>
extra milligram of fat-containing food. Surely, the rock culture has
its<br>
excesses, temptations, etc. but then, what walk of life doesn't?
Musicians<br>
are not the only ones doing a lot of travel, and many of them treat
touring as<br>
not just an inexorable part of their lives, but also as a very pleasant
and<br>
natural thing to do... I'm not sure being a stay-at-home is healthier
than<br>
living through a constant stream of new, uplifting emotions, seeing
new<br>
countries, making small personal discoveries. Physically tiring, yes, but
who<br>
knows the secret ways of Mr. Adrenalin?<br>
Midnight Oil are in fine shape, from what I saw. Bones looks...
errr...<br>
w! eathered but energy spills there as well.<br>
I remember Rick Grossman to have said in a chat that John Entwistle was
the<br>
&quot;driving force for me to start playing. His bass sounded like a jet
plane<br>
taking off.&quot;<br>
Alexei<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; It is simply the passing of the times. All the drugs, travelling,
etc do<br>
&gt; have a cumulative effect. While drugs do not appear to be a factor
for<br>
&gt; MidOil the others are inevitable. I hope I go out before any
MidOil<br>
&gt; members do...David A Brass Bellingham, Washington<br>
for Video Highlights</a> of 2002 FIFA World Cup </blockquote>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
Kate Parker Adams<br>
kate@dnki.net<br>
&quot;She's gonna dream of the world she wants to live in,<br>
She's gonna dream out loud&quot; - U2 (Zooropa)<br>