Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Guitar parts (was Caprichordia)

fish_oil@space.com fish_oil@space.com
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 10:22:30 -0700 (PDT)

Caution: contains guitar-infected musings that normal
Workers likely don't give a rip about...

On Fri, 14 June 2002, Jeff and Jane Scott wrote

> I just can't get the main riff for Luritja Way no
> matter how many times I watch the Chapel video!

~ snip!

"I listen for it now..."

...and I am also amazed :) The acoustic guitar work in
Luritja Way ~ what a treat, and pure humble pie at
that. I'm just beginning to hear it, let alone play it.

I'm  thinking it's Jim in the left channel, during the
verses anyway, doing that thumpy percussive stuff on a
dobro, or a tightly compressed small bodied guitar.
It's awesome. And Martin? doing the ringing chord bits,
right side, most notable during the 'ahhh....ahhh ....
I'm reaching out to you' part. Little syncopated chord
shots with such lovely color. That bit gives me chills
every time, when I listen for it and don't get
"distracted" by the lyrics  ;)  These lads ARE fooking
giants, eh, if you'll pardon my Gaul. To me the real
magic is the way they combine parts to produce a whole
that is so much more than the sum of its parts, if that
makes any sense.

Jeff, which part are you referring to as the main riff
in L'Way? I'm not sure I can help, but I'd be
interested in any thoughts you or others have on this
tune. IMO, guitar-wise this one's THE masterpiece.
Reminds me of some of my favourite work by Acoustic
Alchemy - eg Take Five - but better because it's the
Oils. And they make it seem so simple, eh?

Off to the wood shed,

bruce

Join the Space Program: Get FREE E-mail at http://www.space.com.