Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: NMOC: Quoting & football

Maurice R. Kelly mkelly@deadheart.org.uk
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 11:44:51 +0100 (BST)

On Jun 11, Bjorn Blomquist wrote:

> I don't know what you intend to say by this. I see a lot of those '>' signs... Is it <snip> that's bothering you? You should see what my e-mail program sometimes does when I reply on a message...

I don't mean to speak for Jurriaan, but I think it is the fact that
Bruce's message contained quoting in a HTML format. Some mailers when they
receive HTML-based mail will quote using HTML formatting, which is fine if
you are performing a straight reply (because the person who sent you HTML
mail can likely read HTML mail as well.)

This is not really appropriate on a mailing list when people who do not
use HTML capable mail clients are reading, as it can reult in distorted
and confusing messages.

At least that's what I got from Jurriaan's message. Even if that's not
what he meant, I'm still making a point.

It would be nice if people took the time to send mail to Powderworks in a
plain text format. It's not hard to achieve and it does make life easier
for people who don't want to use bloated (not to mention buggy, and
dangerous[1]) mail clients. More and more these days I find myself
deleting the opinions of people on this list simply because they send
messages which are too hard to read.

Cheers,

--
Maurice R. Kelly