Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] NMOC: The Nuke Waste Road Show

Kate Adams kate@dnki.net
Sat, 08 Jun 2002 22:38:13 -0400

Hey US Powderworkers,

Remember those trucks full of nuclear waste that Pete was ranting about
during the recent tour?  Wanna see what they will look like?

There are currently eight trucks carrying mock nuke waste containers
circulating the country.  Citizen activists are travelling with them to get
the word out about the routes and the risks of large-scale transport of
high-level nuclear waste should the Yucca Mountain Repository open.  This
roadshow may be coming to your area in the very near future!

For a full US-Wide schedule go to
http://www.citizenalert.org/yucca/tour.html#schedule .

When I was in grade school, I lived in a community that saw numerous
shipments of both nuclear waste and weapons headed to and from the Hanford
Nuclear Reservation.  We would get out of school if there was a high
security shipment closing down the town.  I used to have disturbing dreams
where the casks would fall off the trucks, break open, and loose evil on
the world like Pandora's box.  My as an adult trained as an engineer and
scientist, I still find that it ain't far from the truth.

Please help stop this nightmare in the making.

Kate Adams
Doctoral Student
Epidemiology
Department of Work Environment
UMass Lowell
"There are a lot of people who as they get older get mellow. I don't like
mellow music. I don't like mellow. Period."  -  Moe Tucker