Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: Antartica/Dee Dee

GrnVillageGirl@aol.com GrnVillageGirl@aol.com
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 01:05:52 EDT

--part1_89.1902a882.2a319930_boundary

Duane's posting was a wonder to read. Many thanks for sharing such
articulate, meaningful memories with us all. That was uplifting to the
spirit, as opposed to the other news, which is: DeeDee -- dammit. I heard
this this afternoon and thought: not again.
To OD at 25, when you think you're immortal, that's dumb enough. But to OD at
50 -- oh man, that's stoopid, sorry to say.
I was around CBGB's when The Ramones were getting started (Television,
Blondie, Talking Heads as a 3-piece, blah blah blah). I was around Max's when
Johnny Thunders would be begging anyone to give him 5 bucks to go cop, and
David Johansen was getting drunk upstairs. Sid and Nancy were around a little
later, and I avoided them like the plague. Scary people, bad vibes, junkies.
No angel I, having done some pretty idiotic self-destructive things back in
the day myself. I'm grateful beyond saying to have survived to such an
advanced age. Point is: Dee Dee was there for all of that, and saw the same
casualties/fatalities that I did. He got clean -- and then, for whatever
reason, decided to give it one last shot (pun intended). What the *!*%! Just
plain crazy.
I'm sorry for the people who loved him, and I know a few of them too. But for
God's sake, if you haven't figured it out by this point in time: heroin kills
people, and steals their souls first. And if you manage to live through using
(and not contract AIDS or hepatitis C or any number of other dread
afflictions), you're still hanging around with the lowest of the low. These
are people who may have been wonderful once, but now would knock their
grandmother's teeth out of her head with a mallet to steal the fillings.
There are 12-step programs in almost every hamlet around the globe, and
online too. They're free (even if you're asked to drop a buck in the basket,
it's a lot cheaper than the last drink or fix). But if people can't face up
to their pain and work through it, then they kill themselves, sometimes
slowly, sometimes quickly, and leave an even bigger mess behind...
After all these years, people still can't seem to learn.
DeeDee, RIP.

--part1_89.1902a882.2a319930_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><BODY BGCOLOR="#ffffff"><FONT  style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2>Duane's posting was a wonder to read. Many thanks for sharing such articulate, meaningful memories with us all. That was uplifting to the spirit, as opposed to the other news, which is: DeeDee -- dammit. I heard this this afternoon and thought: not again.<BR>
To OD at 25, when you think you're immortal, that's dumb enough. But to OD at 50 -- oh man, that's <I>stoopid</I>, sorry to say.<BR>
I was around CBGB's when The Ramones were getting started (Television, Blondie, Talking Heads as a 3-piece, blah blah blah). I was around Max's when Johnny Thunders would be begging anyone to give him 5 bucks to go cop, and David Johansen was getting drunk upstairs. Sid and Nancy were around a little later, and I avoided them like the plague. Scary people, bad vibes, junkies.<BR>
No angel I, having done some pretty idiotic self-destructive things back in the day myself. I'm grateful beyond saying to have survived to such an advanced age. Point is: Dee Dee was there for all of that, and saw the same casualties/fatalities that I did. He got clean -- and then, for whatever reason, decided to give it one last shot (pun intended). What the *!*%! Just plain crazy.<BR>
I'm sorry for the people who loved him, and I know a few of them too. But for God's sake, if you haven't figured it out by this point in time: heroin kills people, and steals their souls first. And if you manage to live through using (and not contract AIDS or hepatitis C or any number of other dread afflictions), you're still hanging around with the lowest of the low. These are people who may have been wonderful once, but now would knock their grandmother's teeth out of her head with a mallet to steal the fillings.<BR>
There are 12-step programs in almost every hamlet around the globe, and online too. They're free (even if you're asked to drop a buck in the basket, it's a lot cheaper than the last drink or fix). But if people can't face up to their pain and work through it, then they kill themselves, sometimes slowly, sometimes quickly, and leave an even bigger mess behind...<BR>
After all these years, people still can't seem to learn.<BR>
DeeDee, RIP. <BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_89.1902a882.2a319930_boundary--