Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Bullroarer

C-ko Linde spinifex@speakeasy.org
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 01:05:20 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 1 Jun 2002, Jane R wrote:

> It's actually no surprise to me that Rob has said that it is not a real
> Bullroarer. Have any workers tried to use one?!!! They are hard to get a
> sound out of and in particular a consistant sound that we hear on the
> begining and ending of Bullroarer.

Ruler works. I tried this a few years ago, in my 'I want to be Einsturzende
Neubauten' noise music phase.

Take a 12" ruler, preferably wood, with holes in it. Tie string to one of
the outer holes. Twirl above head, at a very fast and consistent speed. Try
not to behead anyone. Eventually, you'll get that
'rrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrr' sound that comes from the air passing over the
ruler. The tricky thing is to keep it at a consistent speed.

C-ko

--
"It's hard to enjoy a $40 bottle of wine while watching a deeply troubled
woman screaming "BITH! HOAR!" at a one-legged pigeon for 20 minutes."