Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] We should really NEVER move powderworks to a forum

Mike Blackwood mikeb@cs.mun.ca
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 13:05:07 -0230 (NDT)

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Tim Hunter wrote:

> I'm not even sure I knew about the web when the list was started in the
> Summer of 1990.  If I dug through my stacks of old dump tapes, I could
> probably find the first message I posted to the list.  Hm.  No, google
> doesn't have anything I posted on Usenet about it, so I must not have.
>
> Hm.  Too bad I didn't think about this two years ago.  Could have had some
> '10 year' hoopla.

That would've been cool.  oh, well...  As for becoming a forum, I must say
that I ABSOLUTELY HATE the idea.  E-mail, especially with the bulk-mailing
"digest" option, seems by far the fairest way to do things in terms of
maximizing access to a globally distributed fanbase while keeping inboxes
relatively uncluttered.  A forum, message board, etc would only serve to
cut down the number of true fans and open us up to more spam and juveniles
wanting to start flame-wars.  Also, a message in your inbox may be clutter
if you're not interested, but for those who are it means we won't have to
worry about missing anything as it's happening (cd-trees, band news, etc).

Over all, I say the status quo is the best of all available options.

hold together,
Mike "Elixir" Blackwood
(subscriber since 1995 <1996?>)