Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: Oils in Milwaukee / Yucca Mtn.

Rhonda kayak@sympatico.ca
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 14:32:26 -0400

Lina Yune wrote:

> And the worst of all is, that some companies (where I work is one
> good example) follow those "news", and I was actually "written up"
> yesterday for attending the Oils show in Milwaukee, and participating
> in anti-Yucca stuff.  My company said it was against their policy, and
> if I get written up for something like that again, I will be
> terminated.

Are you serious?!?!

That's nuts!!  It's not like you were burning their corporate golf shirt
at the show or anything, they shouldn't have any right to say anything
about what you do on your own time.

BTW, where were you sitting - thought I might have spotted you cuz I was
on the lookout for other Powdies and trying to remember descriptions.  I
missed Taste of Chicago but did make it to Milwaukee (was down from
Canada in St. Charles, IL for 10 days on vacation at my mom's) - this
was my first live Oils concert and was it ever totally incredible!!!  I
was thrilled to hear them open with Bullroarer, one of my all-time
favorites (did you hear Jim's mic was totally cranked to the top of the
mix at the beginning of the chorus?!) and encore with Read About It,
another top pick.  My new favorite song is Now or Never Land, ever since
the concert I can't stop listening to that one.  Also thrilled with King
of the Mountain, Beds, Dead Heart, Truganini, basically the whole show!
I was disappointed that we only got one encore though.  Wish we could
have stayed another week down there & I would've gone to Madison
tonight.  STILL hoping for a Toronto show (hint, hint, guys!).

Took my sister (who only knows Beds & Dead Heart - I'm trying to convert
her) and we ended up directly in front of Jim, standing on the first row
of benches behind a couple guys.  I was wearing jean shorts & a t-shirt
I made with the D&D cover on the front & the hand logo & bandmembers
names (D&D era with Giffo instead of Bones) on the back.
Shoulder-length dark brown hair and singing every song.  Martin crossed
over and played in front of us at least once; man, that guy is
brilliant.  Peter was in fine form and Rob was of course knee-wateringly
gorgeous.  The day was perfect weatherwise and we had a great time
during the day as well as the show, which made up for our earlier
frustration (resulting in some spectacularly inventive language) when we
got lost in Milwaukee and circled around for an hour....I'm hopeless
driving in strange cities and my sister sucks as a navigator!!!  Hehe.

To everybody going to Madison tonight and on to the next shows - have a
blast.  If it's your first, you're in for a treat!

Cheers,

Rhonda