Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] New shows on the FTP server

Andy Gillcrist andrewg@nwlink.com
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 08:39:37 -0700

Hey all!

Three shows from last May (Seattle 5/10, Vancouver 5/12, Calgary 5/14)
have been uploaded as MP3s to the FTP server at midnightoil.dyndns.org
(user "midnight", password "oil").  They're in the uploads/2002shows
directory, and each is available in both 160kbps and 320kbps so folks
can choose audio quality vs. download speed.

All were recorded using a Sony minidisc machine with Coresounds mikes,
if I recall.  Seattle was recorded from the frontish row of the balcony;
Vancouver and Calgary from the center floor a few rows from the front.
Calgary has the best sound;  Vancouver would be equal except for the
noisy crowd who can't sing for beans.  Seattle's not bad, but suffers
a bit from the non-ideal recording position.  Perhaps the individual
who did the recording could elaborate if anyone's interested.

The only audible glitch in any of these files is in Mosquito March from
Vancouver; at 2:47.3 there's a 0.15s dropout that I'm not sure what
to do with.  It's in the minidisc source -- the recorder guy thought a
dust particle might've gotten in there, or something.  If anyone more
knowlegeable than I has a good idea how to fix it or at least make it
better, let me know and I can give you the original .wav to play with.

Since the shows were longer than would fit onto one minidisc, each
show has one song about 3/4 of the way through where the first few
seconds are missing because of having to eject the full disc and load
an empty one.  This was done between songs but the machine takes a few
moments to get going again, so... oh well.

These three shows (and more, likely) will be treed in the near future,
so be patient and all good things will come to you.  :)  In the mean
time, enjoy the MP3s... that's why they're there.

(By the way, I don't admin that FTP server;  I just got the info from
another Powderworker.  I was just about ready to bring my own server
on line when I heard about this one, so there it is.  If the admin is
reading this, would you mind dropping me a line? -- I've got a couple
questions for you.  Thanks.)

Enjoy,
	Andy

Oh yeah, the track lists:

Seattle, WA, 2002-05-10, Moore Theater

01-Been Away Too Long
02-Too Much Sunshine
03-Truganini
04-Under the Overpass
05-Drums of Heaven
06-Luritja Way
07-Tin Legs and Tin Mines
08-Now or Never Land
09-Blue Sky Mine
10-US Forces
11-Say Your Prayers
12-Golden Age
13-Redneck Wonderland
14-King of the Mountain
15-River Runs Red
16-Concrete
17-The Dead Heart
18-Dreamworld
19-A Crocodile Cries
20-Mosquito March
21-Beds Are Burning
22-Forgotten Years
23-Tell Me the Truth
24-Read About It
Vancouver, BC, 2002-05-12, Commodore Ballroom

01-Been Away Too Long
02-World That I See
03-My Country
04-Bullroarer