Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] The Real Thing Thang / DivX

Pär Lydmark par.lydmark@kustobsar.st
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 17:16:07 +0100

Hi everyone,

Just a thought about this NTSC and PAL thing. If nobody is able to make this conversion (NTSC to PAL) then this could be another (and maybe even better?) solution: why not make a DivX movie of it? Then we wouldn't have any problem with NTSC and PAL and the distribution would be easier. For those of you who are not familiar with DivX I'll give a short explanation here.

If someone with access to the master tape is equipped (or knows someone who is equipped) with a computer with a TV capture card the show can be ripped into a high-quality avi-file (with equal or higher resolution than a normal TV) and then compressed with the DivX codec (available for free at www.divx.com), resulting in a file that can be recorded on one single CD-R (the files are usually just below 700 MB, but it depends on how hard you make the compression). The sound is in mp3 quality (much better than on video) and the picture quality is very good. You can then watch it on your computer screen (works well in full-screen mode) or on your TV if you have a TV output on your computer. And it won't get worn out like a video when you have played it a hundred times...

Is there anyone on the list who has the ability of accomplishing this? If so, I would of course be extremely glad, since I'm not able to play NTSC videos...

Cheers
Pär Lydmark, Sweden