Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Track listing for Capricornia from Liquid8

Serandipitey@aol.com Serandipitey@aol.com
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 16:51:46 EST

--part1_b2.4e6cfc4.2974acf2_boundary

So, generally speaking, why is it that the same album might bereleased with
different tracks in different countries?  Seems likethis happens all the
time, not just with the Oils.  Is it the recordcompanies trying to market the
album to that location's perceivedmusical tastes, hoping it'll sell better?
Or... what?  I mean, SayYour Prayers completely rocks!  Why wouldn't it be on
the Eurorelease?  And would the Euro release have some other great songthat
us Yanks might not appreciate?It's all good!  Lay it on us! o-o \_/    Andy

Call me a cynic, but when I wonder why a company would produce or market a
product in a certain way, the first thing I look for is a profit motive.
Looking at it in this sense, maybe the record company selected songs which
they thought would have the most general appeal in the country in which it is
being marketed. In other words, the CD will be marketed for the general
public, not just hard core fans. Also, by leaving certain tracks out, they
may compel serious fans to buy both versions, which increases sales.
This is all just a hypothesis, because I don't honestly know why they do
these things.

Varina

--part1_b2.4e6cfc4.2974acf2_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>So, generally speaking, why is it that the same album might bereleased with different tracks in different countries? &nbsp;Seems likethis happens all the time, not just with the Oils. &nbsp;Is it the recordcompanies trying to market the album to that location's perceivedmusical tastes, hoping it'll sell better? &nbsp;Or... what? &nbsp;I mean, SayYour Prayers completely rocks! &nbsp;Why wouldn't it be on the Eurorelease? &nbsp;And would the Euro release have some other great songthat us Yanks might not appreciate?It's all good! &nbsp;Lay it on us! o-o \_/ &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Andy
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>Call me a cynic, but when I wonder why a company would produce or market a product in a certain way, the first thing I look for is a profit motive. Looking at it in this sense, maybe the record company selected songs which they thought would have the most general appeal in the country in which it is being marketed. In other words, the CD will be marketed for the general public, not just hard core fans. Also, by leaving certain tracks out, they may compel serious fans to buy both versions, which increases sales.
<BR>This is all just a hypothesis, because I don't honestly know why they do these things.
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>Varina
<BR></FONT></HTML>