Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Random ramblings and questions

Tari, Vince fstariv1@NMHG.com
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 18:24:17 -0600

------_=_NextPart_001_01C19C91.CE8C265B

RSITS was deifnitely put in the grower category when i first heard it.

Didn't grab me immediately, but has become one of my faves over time. It was
such a big departure from the previous album 10-1, which was always going to
be a hard act to follow.

Personally, I loved the intertwining of the brass & string components, with
Martin & Jim's guitars. That was quite unique for a rock band at the time.
As for Bakerman, I think that piece is pretty fun & quirky.

>From reading various articles & bios, the impression i got is that the
recording of RSITS was a pivotal moment for the band, whether to go forward
full on, or call it a day due to all the other distractions at the time (eg.
PG's political aspirations). Thankfully, they chose the former.

A quote from this particular bio sums it up nicely ;
"1984 saw the release of another album, again produced by Nick Launay, but
this time recorded in Japan. The work of a group in a state of cultural
displacement, intense personal crisis (and perhaps not so coincidentally,
great creativity), Red Sails in the Sunset (October, 1984) spawned some
wonderful tracks, including "Kosciusko" and "Best of Both Worlds."

Vince