Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] capricornia

Tom Davies tdav@wam.umd.edu
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 04:00:26 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, mel wrote:

> screw circuit city and best buy. i'd encourage people
> to support their local independent record stores or failing that at least a
> record store and not those warehouse stores from hell.

Hear, hear. I got it from my local record store and they only charged me
ten bucks!!

So far, my reaction to the album is not as positive as that of many others
who have written in. I'm reminded of how I initially reacted to Breathe
and Red Sails... loyal to the band, but not yet seeing the greatness of
the new sound. And I'm sure Capricornia will grow on me as those albums
did. I do sort of wish Capricornia had a more immediately accessible
sound, though. Most of the songs strike me as challenging in one way or
another, not yielding immediate catchy pleasure the way songs like Read
About It or Dreamworld do... which is fine artistically, but won't make it
easy for the Oils to regain any popularity outside Australia despite their
break with Sony. If the Oils do get a bigger US following with this
record, it'll be thanks to touring rather than airplay, I think.

peace,

tom