Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Ronnie Scotts Gig

Andy Gillcrist andrewg@nwlink.com
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 16:46:47 -0800

And after Short Memory, Peter says "I want to congratulate you on being the
most
well-mannered crowd we've ever played to."

Then someone in the crowd yells out "Wedding Cake Island!" and Peter actually
responds, which seems unusual.  He says "Yeah, that'd be fun... we're too far
away
from the surf to play a song like Wedding Cake.  I think, you know, if we
played a
song like Wedding Cake Island, I would just, ah, quietly sort of fade off my
sort of,
ah, clubby stool and just hitchhike straight back home..." then they launch
into Beds.

The club's website has a couple photos:  http://www.ronniescotts.co.uk/

I love this recording -- the sound is excellent, clear and well-balanced
amongst the
different instruments and vocals, and it's really apparent that the club is
smaller and
more intimate.  I think the Oils were really "on" that night;  every song is
masterfully
performed.  My fave's gotta be Sell My Soul... but Warakurna is awesome as
well,
and Short Memory, and Dead Heart, and... well, they're all good.

	Andy