Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] PG's departure (and I'm back on the list)

Henry Longmore Henry.Krit.Longmore@m.cc.utah.edu
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 17:11:16 -0700 (MST)

I've been away from the list too long...

I didn't find out until the 9th--I got home from school after
finishing my last final for the semester, when my Dad told me that
he'd read about it in a local paper (the Deseret News).  I didn't
believe him. He's always teasing about serious things.  I had to see
the bands' statement on the website before I believed it.  I was
wrapping up my first semester of grad school last week, so it would
have done me no good to have to deal with that as well.

This may have already been said, but I don't have time to read through
all the archives to find out, so I apologize if it's been said before.
I was just listening to the Bonus Disk that came with the Real Thing,
and noticed this:

(Track 13--Tin Legs & Tin Mines in the background)
Interviewer: What about ah, what about the future? I mean ah
do do you consider where does Midnight Oil go after the tour?

MO: (singing) "The future's uncertain but the end is very, very near
    Let's roll, baby roll."
    We just roll you know, from one thing to another, and if it's
    still rolling then we're still there and I don't I think we've
    long well I've long since given up trying to figure out the
    mysteries and the magic behind how Midnight Oil continues to do
    what it does.  I think it's best not to talk about it really.

In retrospect, the end was indeed very, very near.  But ah, at least I
got to see them in concert twice. :)