Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: unsupportive article in the Australian

GrnVillageGirl@aol.com GrnVillageGirl@aol.com
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 12:10:50 EST

--part1_22.334b2e74.2b2a1d1a_boundary

Well, it's not the most powerful prose I've ever written, but I couldn't take
this lying down.
I do know that Peter stirs up a lot of controversy and dislike - just for
sticking his neck out. And I'm sure the unconverted could and do consider him
preachy and self-righteous. But the hell with them!
This is what I wrote in the comment box provided:

Not only is Tim Blair unnecessarily nasty, he's wrong on several counts. A)
The Oils have a female fan base - I know, I'm one of them - and I've seen
plenty of evolved, non-bloke-ish women at their shows. B) Australia's Spinal
Tap? Not bloody likely. I've worked with both groups, believe it or not, and
Midnight Oil is a far cry from a bunch of actors pretending to be drug-addled
cock-rockers. As far as being on a major record label: those were the days
before downloads were available on the Internet. Oh, but then a person would
have to use electricity, possibly derived from some other unsavory source.
The Oils live in the same world the rest of us do - they've just tried to
make it a better one. What can Tim Blair say for himself along these lines?

--part1_22.334b2e74.2b2a1d1a_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><BODY BGCOLOR="#ffffff"><FONT  style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">Well, it's not the most powerful prose I've ever written, but I couldn't take this lying down.<BR>
I do know that Peter stirs up a lot of controversy and dislike - just for sticking his neck out. And I'm sure the unconverted could and do consider him preachy and self-righteous. But the hell with them!<BR>
This is what I wrote in the comment box provided:<BR>
<BR>
Not only is Tim Blair unnecessarily nasty, he's wrong on several counts. A) The Oils have a female fan base - I know, I'm one of them - and I've seen plenty of evolved, non-bloke-ish women at their shows. B) Australia's Spinal Tap? Not bloody likely. I've worked with both groups, believe it or not, and Midnight Oil is a far cry from a bunch of actors pretending to be drug-addled cock-rockers. As far as being on a major record label: those were the days before downloads were available on the Internet. Oh, but then a person would have to use electricity, possibly derived from some other unsavory source. The Oils live in the same world the rest of us do - they've just tried to make it a better one. What can Tim Blair say for himself along these lines?<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_22.334b2e74.2b2a1d1a_boundary--