Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Oh MAN

GrnVillageGirl@aol.com GrnVillageGirl@aol.com
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 23:27:38 EST

--part1_12a.1cb1b629.2b22d2ba_boundary

Well, the first few days of the week I was offline, and jonesing for the Web,
but thought I'd get by.
"Nothing ever happens, nothing really matters, no one ever tells me - what am
I to know?"
And then I read about it.
Still in shock somewhat. Can't believe it's really over, but I know it is.
Grateful for the 25 years they've been raging against the machine, even more
so for the 17 years I've been a fan. Can't do much about the forgotten years.
Done is done, but damn it all to hell and back again.
Was regretting what I considered to be a paucity of shows compared to some,
then realized that others on this list had never even seen them at all. And
felt so bad for the poor Euroworkers who'd had the rug pulled out from under
them.
Remembered then the privileged vantage point I'd had at many a show. Even
being tossed from side to side like a rag doll by a bunch of oversize yahoos
felt like a privilege at an Oils show - just to be there.
So many memories began colliding in the old brainpan then. And I am grateful.
'Tis better to have loved and lost, and all that.
No one will be able to inspire me and so many others the way these blokes can
and did. The magical chemistry of a real BAND, when it becomes so much more
than the sum of its parts - it's a mystical and beautiful thing, rare in its
occurence, never to be duplicated after.
But I look forward to what each and every member of this particular group
will contribute musically, and otherwise, to the world henceforth - and with
great curiousity and hope to whatever Pete decides to do with himself. I
don't know that being confined to any political party would suit him, but if
he broke many other unwritten rules before, he can do so again. I put nothing
past him.
I pray that he, and others, will be able to help turn around this ailing,
grieving planet and buy us all (and maybe even our descendants) some more
time to try and correct some of what has gone so badly wrong.
Right now, I can't even bear to listen to the music or look at the video
clips. It's too fresh - I wake up and realize something's wrong before I
remember why my heart is heavy. Then I recall.
All of the eloquence on this board since the dread announcement, the
heartspeak and deep feelings, make it a treasure beyond price at this
time...what you've said so beautifully, and just for showing up here in the
first place. It's truly a testament and tribute to Midnight Oil that they've
been able to gather such disparate folks and unite them this way. That
accomplishment, along with the music and the message, live on.
Yeah, all the lyrics DO seem so poignant now..."in the blink of an eye, thank
you and goodnight."
Bless.

--part1_12a.1cb1b629.2b22d2ba_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><BODY BGCOLOR="#ffffff"><FONT  style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">Well, the first few days of the week I was offline, and jonesing for the Web, but thought I'd get by.<BR>
"Nothing ever happens, nothing really matters, no one ever tells me - what am I to know?"<BR>
And then I read about it.<BR>
Still in shock somewhat. Can't believe it's really over, but I know it is.<BR>
Grateful for the 25 years they've been raging against the machine, even more so for the 17 years I've been a fan. Can't do much about the forgotten years.<BR>
Done is done, but damn it all to hell and back again.<BR>
Was regretting what I considered to be a paucity of shows compared to some, then realized that others on this list had never even seen them at all. And felt so bad for the poor Euroworkers who'd had the rug pulled out from under them.<BR>
Remembered then the privileged vantage point I'd had at many a show. Even being tossed from side to side like a rag doll by a bunch of oversize yahoos felt like a privilege at an Oils show - just to be there.<BR>
So many memories began colliding in the old brainpan then. And I am grateful.<BR>
'Tis better to have loved and lost, and all that.<BR>
No one will be able to inspire me and so many others the way these blokes can and did. The magical chemistry of a real BAND, when it becomes so much more than the sum of its parts - it's a mystical and beautiful thing, rare in its occurence, never to be duplicated after.<BR>
But I look forward to what each and every member of this particular group will contribute musically, and otherwise, to the world henceforth - and with great curiousity and hope to whatever Pete decides to do with himself. I don't know that being confined to any political party would suit him, but if he broke many other unwritten rules before, he can do so again. I put nothing past him.<BR>
I pray that he, and others, will be able to help turn around this ailing, grieving planet and buy us all (and maybe even our descendants) some more time to try and correct some of what has gone so badly wrong.<BR>
Right now, I can't even bear to listen to the music or look at the video clips. It's too fresh - I wake up and realize something's wrong before I remember why my heart is heavy. Then I recall.<BR>
All of the eloquence on this board since the dread announcement, the heartspeak and deep feelings, make it a treasure beyond price at this time...what you've said so beautifully, and just for showing up here in the first place. It's truly a testament and tribute to Midnight Oil that they've been able to gather such disparate folks and unite them this way. That accomplishment, along with the music and the message, live on.<BR>
Yeah, all the lyrics DO seem so poignant now..."in the blink of an eye, thank you and goodnight."<BR>
Bless.<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_12a.1cb1b629.2b22d2ba_boundary--