Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] What else

andrew pye apye@bigpond.com
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 13:45:28 +1000

------=_NextPart_000_00DA_01C29C64.9299A280

  I'm sad to see it
  end, but then again, there's no law that says Pete and the guys can't =
tour
  or record in the future (just ask the Who).  Twenty-five years isn't a =
bad run
  for a rock band, and I know none of us blame Pete for his decision.  I =
figure
  after a few years of working on saving the world he'll have to come =
back and
  help save rock and roll music - so be ready!

  Mike=20

You know, I was just thinking the same thing myself after the first 2 =
days of initial shock subsided!!!

Ok, it's unlikely, you'd think, that they will ever be the band they =
have been for the past 25 years (i.e. Midnight Oil is the band members =
main focus with all side projects exactly that, side projects), but =
there's nothing to say that they can't do anything ever again. And =
(crystal balling here) should Peter go into parliament in some sort of =
official political position, the verbal constraints that accompany such =
a position, as enforced by "party policy", would surely have him =
squirming in his skin, busting to say what he wants to. Particularly in =
situations where party policy might differ from his own opinion, which =
would happen an awful lot (depending on the party of choice of =
course!!!) That leads to an obvious outlet, The Oils! And of course, we =
all know that Midnight Oil is a band that does it's best work when it's =
pissed off!

So while at the moment I reluctantly and sorrowfully accept the we have =
most likely seen the last of them as we knew them, maybe, just maybe, it =
isn't then end!=20

Denial? Very possibly!  Wishful thinking? Absolutely!

And should we have seen and heard the last of their new material and =
live sound as experienced over the last 25 years, thank you so much for =
the years of fun, happiness and adrenaline filled excitement you gave =
me. You gave us! You were the best!

Andrew.

------=_NextPart_000_00DA_01C29C64.9299A280

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px"><FONT=20
  face=3Darial,helvetica><FONT face=3DArial lang=3D0 size=3D2 =
FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF">I'm sad=20
  to see it<BR>end, but then again, there's no law that says Pete and =
the guys=20
  can't tour<BR>or record in the future (just ask the Who).&nbsp; =
Twenty-five=20
  years isn't a bad run<BR>for a rock band, and I know none of us blame =
Pete for=20
  his decision.&nbsp; I figure<BR>after a few years of working on saving =
the=20
  world he'll have to come back and<BR>help save rock and roll music - =
so be=20
  ready!<BR><BR>Mike</FONT> </FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>You know, I was just thinking the same =
thing myself=20
after the first 2 days of initial shock subsided!!!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Ok, it's unlikely, you'd think, that =
they will ever=20
be the band they have been for the past 25 years (i.e. Midnight Oil is =
the band=20
members main focus with all side projects exactly that, side projects), =
but=20
there's nothing to say that they can't do anything ever again. And =
(crystal=20
balling here) should Peter go into parliament&nbsp;in some sort of =
official=20
political position, the verbal constraints that accompany such a =
position, as=20
enforced by "party policy", would surely have him squirming in his skin, =
busting=20
to say what he wants to. Particularly in situations where party policy =
might=20
differ from his own opinion, which would happen an awful lot (depending =
on the=20
party of choice of course!!!) That leads to&nbsp;an obvious outlet, The =
Oils!=20
And of course, we all know that Midnight Oil is a band that does it's =
best work=20
when it's pissed off!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>So while at the moment I reluctantly =
and=20
sorrowfully accept the we have most likely seen the&nbsp;last of them as =
we knew=20
them, maybe, just maybe, it isn't then end! </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Denial? Very possibly! </FONT><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>&nbsp;Wishful thinking? Absolutely!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>And should we have seen and heard the =
last of=20
their&nbsp;new material and live sound as experienced over the last 25 =
years,=20
thank you so much for the years of fun, happiness and adrenaline filled=20
excitement you gave me. You gave us! You were the best!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Andrew.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00DA_01C29C64.9299A280--