Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] So, you got the blues

Jeff and Jane Scott jscott@iinet.net.au
Wed, 04 Dec 2002 22:25:07 +0800

g'day all

I guess it's my turn...

I can't describe my reaction to hearing the news yesterday.  I'm still
numb.  I knew it had to happen one day, and yet I thought they'd "surf
forever" (as someone so beautifully put it).  When you think about it, it
should have been obvious that it was going to happen.  Peter wants to
change the world, and he's probably capable of doing it.  There isn't
enough time to do that and be in the Oils, so the less important had to go...

Had to go back to work yesterday afternoon, after four weeks off.  In fact,
last time I was at work turned out to be the day on which I was to see the
Oils play live for the last time.  It was the best show I ever saw.

So I'm going back to work, and obviously I need an Oils CD for the
car.  The choice is easy - go back to where it all began (for me) - Red
Sails In The Sunset, 1984.  At first I thought it was going to be too much,
but by the halfway point of "Generals" I had a grin from ear to ear as I
remembered all the great times the band have brought me over the past 18
years.  Riding home from the record store with Diesel and Dust in the
headphones two days before the official release date...   Impressing my
mates on a surfing trip by knowing all the words to the Lucky Country
rant...  My first live show...  My first live show in the front
row...  Catching the midnight flight from Perth to Sydney, having breakfast
at the airport half asleep, then suddenly realising who was sitting at the
table next to me...  Finding out about this "Warumpi Band" mob and their
incredible songwriter Neil Murray...  Driving from Wittenoom to Mt Magnet
to Geraldton to Perth to Bunbury over two days to get to a show...  Driving
from Bunbury back to Perth after the show, looking across to the car next
to me and seeing a big bald guy in a red suit sitting in the front seat...
Getting a drumstick at last after 18 years...  And finally, getting a
couple of "Save Ningaloo Reef" bumper stickers from the hand of the man
himself at the last show - the "Thanks" I said (which he would never have
heard) turns out to mean so much more than I thought at the time.

It's been two days now and I'm still stunned.

Where to now?  I don't know if one man can change the world, but if one man
can then this might the man to bet on.  He's certainly changed mine.

The rest of the guys - I hope they continue to work together "in another
guise".  I don't guarantee to like what they do, but I certainly look
forward to hearing it.

My friends in Powderworks - I hope we stay around, for a while at least.  I
know now that nothing is forever.  You're all welcome at my house any time.

I think I like the sound we're chasing.

jeff...