Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Thanks Pete

Beth Curran bcurran@columbus.rr.com
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 07:07:52 -0500

Nathan wrote:

I'm just wondering why U2 have just gotten bigger, whereas the Oils
popularity waned so much during the 90's that a lot of people are
surprised
when they hear that they are still around.
Is it because they are Aussie? Did ESM/Breathe turn mainstream audiences
off?

Not to dis U2, but I think that, unlike the Oils, their music has lost
its thoughtful quality.  It's not much of a challenge to listen to U2
these days.  And that's expanded their audience - well, at least it's
expanded their US audience.  People snicker at the Oils "concert and
lecture series" because they don't want music that they sometimes have
to put effort into to understand.  They don't want to have uncomfortable
or challenging things pointed out to them, and it seems U2 isn't as
interested in that as they used to be.  "That fooker with the flag" has
gotten soft.  - Beth