Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] breakup

Phil Stanton phil@eqsystems.co.uk
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 18:46:13 -0000

On 2 Dec 2002 at 10:13, Dan Heaton wrote:

> I feel badly for people in Europe who weren't able to
> see them this past year. They still have it!  Take
> care fellow list members.

... weren't able to see them this past year. Or last time they
cancelled. Or anytime since 1993, in fact. And here we were
trying our hardest to support them over here whenever we could
- selling out gigs, buying local releases of their material (I
still don't have Capricornia, since it still hasn't been
released in the UK.)

Well I'm sorry, but quite frankly I feel shat on from a great
height. Sure, no band can be expected to go on forever, and no
band has an obligation to tour, but this was not a sudden
decision. They knew. They knew when the rumours about the final
gig went around. They knew when they cancelled the European
tour. They knew (or had a pretty good idea) when the forever
promised European tour kept getting pushed further and further
back. They could have shown a little bit more f'n respect for
the fans who've shown them nothing but respect for all the
years they've been going. They should have told us. They should
have given us a farewell tour. They should have let us down a
little bit more gently than that.

I won't stop listening. I will still buy Capricornia (on
import, since I won't ever get it over here officially.) I will
still rant about how good a band they are. I will just feel a
little bit let down however.

Phil