Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: CD-R TREE: Seattle / Vancouver / Calgary 2002

Andy Gillcrist andrewg@nwlink.com
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 19:36:49 -0700

Hey all,

Miron Mizrahi has gracefully volunteered to convert these three shows
into SHN format and host them on a nice fast server somewhere.  If you
want the shows but would rather avoid being involved in the tree, you
might want to hang a little longer and wait for Miron's announcement
of their availability for download.  Even with SHN compression, you'll
still be downloading almost 3 gigabytes, so only those with really fast
connections will be interested in this -- otherwise it'll be worse than
trying to grab stuff off the FTP server.  :)

Any technical questions about SHN or any other part of this should be
directed to Miron, not me.  Meanwhile, here's what he told me about it:

 > SHN is a compression method. Unlike mp3 it is lossless - i.e. when
 > you uncompress you get exactly the track you started with.  It
 > provides checksums so you can test whether your copy is correct and
 > it is digital so quality does not deteriorate as you make copies of
 > copies of copies. It does not offer the same compression ratio as
 > mp3 (approx. 1:10 with 128kbps) nor are there any appliances that
 > support this format but it is an excellent choice for show dist.
 > some lists I am a member of trade mostly SHN. for example, you could
 > compress the tree to probably 4 maybe even 3 CDs.

	Andy