Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] dumya

Jonathan Hart midnightoil@shaw.ca
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 11:35:43 -0600

You are indeed correct.  "Fire Management" strategies arise only because
of the human impact of forest fires.  And they have proven only
semi-successful.  Bush's solution is the one which best fits his
policies, i.e. his desire to help big business (in this case, the lumber
companies), while simultaneously trying to convince the public that he's
doing the right thing, and that he is "green".

He's about as green as my blood.

-----Original Message-----
From: powderworks-admin@cs.colorado.edu
[mailto:powderworks-admin@cs.colorado.edu] On Behalf Of ninas
Sent: August 23, 2002 8:34 AM
To: Janice Coleman; powderworks@cs.colorado.edu
Subject: Re: [Powderworks] dumya

ok - yeah and he's getting tons of praise for it?!

now maybe i'm mistaken here (you enviromental management/science folk
may be able to help me - i'm just a lowly designer who only took a
handful of environmental courses in college), but aren't forest fires
beneficial and part of the natural cycle of forest ecosystems?? it was
my understanding that forests need to burn every so often so it can
replenish and provide the ground with nutrients. am i wrong here? if we
prevent forest fires all together (and meddle with the ecosystem), are
we putting forests in more danger down the line? i understand that
blazing-out-of-control fires, spawned on by people is not the kid of
'natural' fires that happen in nature, but...

really, please, educate me because bush's plan seems really flawed from
a science stand-point. i wont even get into the flawed altruistic
reasons - that's obvious!

nina