Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Bedlam Bridge

Brian Jacobs suncrush@lycos.com
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 09:48:54 +1200

I'm a fairly religious person, and I've always seen the man on the bridge as Jesus.  For me, the song says that, while there's a lot of trouble and pain in the world, Jesus will make everything okay in the end.  I see the "Drive the engines harder, won't you turn the engines over?" as the singer encouraging the listener to press on to Bedlam Bridge, where Christ is.

Brian

---
The "Bonsai Kitten" web site does a reflect a very dark, disturbing trend in our society, and it has nothing to do with animal abuse. It has to do with an ever-increasing sense of entitlement which proclaims that if you don't like what someone else has to say, the best and most proper way of handling your displeasure is to force the other person to shut up.

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002 17:24:06
 Beth Curran wrote:
>Well, since we've done arguing about politics, how about let's talk
>about Bedlam Bridge for a while?  Alan and I see the singer approaching
>the metaphorical bridge leading away from Bedlam.  There's something
>there (Alan sees God, and I see the underlying decency and unselfishness
>within mankind) that he can't get to because of his horrible
>surroundings, that will take (Only the singer?  All of Bedlam?) out of
>the chaos.  What we can't agree on is whether the singer is expressing
>solid faith in (God/mankind) as he waits, or whether he's struggling
>with a crisis of faith and is trying to work through it as he stands
>there.  "A man who makes no enemies" would seem to support the first
>idea, while the "Drive" phrase sounds more like the second.  Would love
>to hear your opinions - Beth
>
>The very first time I heard this song it created a picture in my mind
>that's so vivid, it's seems like a real place.  I love the video because
>it's so much like my cherished mental image.  Why are some of the most
>awful videos associated with some of the most evocative songs?  Like the
>embarrassingly bad video for Skateaway (by Dire Straits), and Ono's
>intrusively watchful presence in Imagine - ewwww!  But then you get one
>like this, where it all comes together.  Lovely.

Play the Elvis® Scratch & Win for your chance to instantly win $10,000 Cash
- a 2003 Harley Davidson® Sportster® - 1 of 25,000 CD's - and more!
http://r.lycos.com/r/sagel_mail_scratch_tl/http://win.ipromotions.com/lycos_020801/index.asp?tc=7087