Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Musical patriotism (MOC)

Kate Adams kate@dnki.net
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 22:41:53 -0400

At 11:04 AM 8/17/02 -0700, Jess wrote:
>But if you think about it, I'm not sure if its
>possible to grow up in America without knowing and
>identifying with at least a few Johnny Cash songs.
>Or... Elvis?  Then you hit puberty and grow one of
>those self concious arrogant American attitudes that
>doesn't allow you to admit to having anything in
>common with your parents. pity, really.

Hmmmm ... what about Woodie Guthrie?  Personally, I think these should be
the words to our national anthem:

This land is your land
This land is my land
 From California
To the New York Island
 From the redwood forest
To the gulfstream waters
This land was made for you and me!

Of course these radical ideas led J Edgar and his ilk consider Guthrie to
be a dangerous communist in his day ...

I'd also add Pete Seeger to the list as well.

My grandparents tended to listen to traditional country artists like Hank
Williams, Woodie Guthrie, Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton, Patsy Cline and of
course Chet Atkins (when I gave Granny a copy of Neck and Neck she told me
she really liked the one with Chet and that English guy on it).  I also
lived in places where Glen Campbell topped the request charts for the
town's only radio station (16 hour a day, AM) on a regular basis.  Johnny
Cash is cool in my book.

But then again, my parents can't stand country OR western music ...

Yeeeee Haaaa!
Kate

Kate Parker Adams
kate@dnki.net
"She's gonna dream up the world she wants to live in,
She's gonna dream out loud" - U2 (Zooropa)
go Out Of Mind ... http://www.kpasoutput.blogspot.com