Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] re: music and patriotism

Bawolski@aol.com Bawolski@aol.com
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 01:27:28 EDT

--part1_73.2425db3a.2a8c95c0_boundary

In a message dated 8/14/2002 1:51:33 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
mironmizrahi@yahoo.com writes:

> the fabric of society seems more disjointed and with more
> gaps (I have a theory why, but it is a separate discussion). as a
> result you really can't say that if you have characteristics A, B
> and C then you are American. there are many ways to define American
> and they are all equally valid. hence, I can't think of anyone who I
> would call American, or who calls himself one.

I think one of the main reasons for this is because we are still largely a
country of immigrants.  I live in Los Angeles, and believe it or not Spanish
is the most spoken language here.  There is a huge population of Mexicans
in southern California who are trying to eke out a living because it has
become
so difficult for them to do so in their native land.  There are also many
African-
Americans, Phillipinos, Japanese, Chinese, Samoans, Indians and many other
ethnic groups in L. A.  Other large cities in the U. S. have similarly large
and diverse ethnic groups.  What we lack in a truly "American" culture we
more than make up
for in all the wonderful things that these various cultures contribute to our

society.

Mike

--part1_73.2425db3a.2a8c95c0_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 8/14/2002 1:51:33 PM Pacific Daylight Time, mironmizrahi@yahoo.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">the fabric of society seems more disjointed and with more<BR>
gaps (I have a theory why, but it is a separate discussion). as a<BR>
result you really can't say that if you have characteristics A, B<BR>
and C then you are American. there are many ways to define American<BR>
and they are all equally valid. hence, I can't think of anyone who I<BR>
would call American, or who calls himself one.<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
I think one of the main reasons for this is because we are still largely a <BR>
country of immigrants.&nbsp; I live in Los Angeles, and believe it or not Spanish<BR>
is the most spoken language here.&nbsp; There is a huge population of Mexicans<BR>
in southern California who are trying to eke out a living because it has become<BR>
so difficult for them to do so in their native land.&nbsp; There are also many African-<BR>
Americans, Phillipinos, Japanese, Chinese, Samoans, Indians and many other ethnic groups in L. A.&nbsp; Other large cities in the U. S. have similarly large and diverse ethnic groups.&nbsp; What we lack in a truly "American" culture we more than make up<BR>
for in all the wonderful things that these various cultures contribute to our <BR>
society.<BR>
<BR>
Mike<BR>
</FONT></HTML>