Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Political Infighting / Misheard Lyrics

Rhonda kayak@sympatico.ca
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 10:36:54 -0400

Re:  GrnVillageGirl's post about continued political bickering:  VERY
well said!

Re: misheard lyrics - This can be hilarious.  The term that's been
coined for misheard lyrics is "mondegreens" and you can find collections
of them on the web, some of which are dumb and some leave me in paroxyms
of laughter on the floor.  Here's a couple links:

http://www.uh.edu/~mbarber/mondegreens.html
http://www.kissthisguy.com/

The second is kind of an awkwardly put together site but apparently has
the biggest collection, including a couple by MO (neither of which are
all that funny).
My two own most embarrasing misheard lyrics:

Chumbawumba, "Tubthumping":
Thought I heard:  "I got no tub, but I'll get over it."
Actual lyric:  "I get knocked down, but I get up again."

The Tea Party, "Heaven Coming Down"
Thought I heard:  "You surrender your underwear."
Actual lyric:  "You surrender your love under will."

There's some MO ones I can't figure out, mostly PG rants, but I'm not
even going to guess!!  I'd love to hear everybody else's submissions....

Cheers,
Rhonda