Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: way NMOC on the political side here

Randy Van Vliet bigdaddyrv@yahoo.com
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 14:19:55 -0700 (PDT)

Hey Fluw, I have to agree with both you and Craig
here.  It doesn't look good when 1,000 people walk by
and not show any interest, but...I know that when I go
to a concert, I'm going to see the act, not sign up to
save the world.  Don't forget also that the band
themselves have stated that they are musically dirven
first and politically second, if at all.  So why do
1,000 people have to stop at a political stand outside
a concert venue?  Is that going to prove my worth to
somebody?

And, yes, there are a lot of us out there who "give at
the office".  My family and I are very involved in
humanitarian aid through our church and local
community groups.  I choose to spend my time and $$
where I can see positive results where I live.  I've
been involved in my share of national and
international organizations and I have seen some noble
efforts die in senseless bickering and infighting.  I
didn't like particulary like the movie "Pay it
forward", but I really like the concept:  Help someone
in your community and hopefully the'll help some else
who will help someone else.  Eventually it will spread
across town, across the country, across the world.

So, when I'm in town with the family and I see someone
ridicule me for not signing up to support every cause
out there, it cranks me off.  As does your broad brush
statement that since someone didn't sign up at a
concert we're not worth your time.   As my grandpa
says "don't let the door hit you on the ass on your
way out.

Randy