Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Dubya's "war on terra"

Geordie McMillan geordie_mcmillan@hotmail.com
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 13:50:42 +1000

Ian, Phil from the Bronx, et al.;

This is clearly a hot topic and one that touches the emotions of many people
both within and outside of the USA. I for one second do NOT condone the
actions taken by whoever it was that crashed those planes into the WTC, the
Pentagon and that often forgotten field in Pennslvania. My absolute
heartfelt sympathies DO go out to those that were affected, the thousands
that they are.

However, a few issues need to be put into perspective. For people to say
NOTHING like this has happened in history is, in my opinion, incorrect and
disrespectful to the wider history of the world. It is true though that
nothing like this has ever happened on American soil, which does set a
precedent, an albeit unfortunate one.

The fact that 'September 11th' received so much publicity is in my opinion a
direct consequence of the United States' isolationist and often hypocritical
foreign affirs policies emplaced for the past 70-odd years. These policies
are again a direct consequence of the Puritanical religious beliefs that are
at the very centre of American 'democracy' and serve to further highlight
the rampant conflict of interests between faith and governance in the USA.
To be patriotic and proud of your country in the global arena is one thing;
to explicitly pronounce the supposed superiority of it is something else.

Where 'retaliation' is involved, I think it was unavoidable, however
unfortunate, that the USA and its allies have taken direct military actions.
It is for these circumstances, which I believe someone else on this list
highlighted several days ago, that the International Criminal Court was to
be endorsed.

If the United States was serious is hunting down terrorist organisations, it
should have ratified the ICC and pursued whoever the perpetrators (and their
sponsors) were through this system. Once again, the USA demonstrated its
complete contempt for a global system that may, through secondary means,
have highlighted it as being the not-so-white knight of international
relations.

For a nation, which Australia, the UK and Western Europe can also bracket
themselves in, that espouses the superiority of 'freedom' and 'democracy',
it is definitely giving the wrong signals and intentions to developing
nations the world over.

Geordie.