Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Nazis and Taliban

Julian Shaw Julian Shaw" <julian@jlshaw.co.uk
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 12:16:51 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cheryl H" <ooiiilllss@hotmail.com>
To: <julian@jlshaw.co.uk>; <powderworks@cs.colorado.edu>
Sent: Saturday, August 10, 2002 2:43 AM
Subject: Re: [Powderworks] Nazis and Taliban

>OK, so damned if you do, damned if you don't.  It took 3,000 Americans to
>die for the US Government to respond to the Taliban.  We didn't do anything
>about it before.  What would you be saying now if we HAD gotten involved
>sooner, perhaps to prevent such a tragedy if we had seen it coming?>

Like I said it would probably have been a good thing for something to have
been done about the Taliban. But the US, and indeed all western governments,
saw no need to worry about it.

>You wrote:
>I certainly would be the last person to defend the barbaric acts of the
>British Empire

>Let's try to forget about the past, right?

What's that supposed to mean? I don't think we should forget the past - it's
the only way that we don't repeat our mistakes!

>You also wrote:
>Indeed as we have seen so many times the US were happy to help religious
>fanatics as long as the weren't pointing their guns at other Americans.

>Please clarify - are you saying that our Government finances and supports
>terrorists, as long as Americans don't get hurt in the process?

That would be exactly what I'm saying! The USA through the CIA has supported
both terrorists and fascists! If the terrorists or fascists are opponents of
Russia or some other "communist" regime then they must be friends of
America - that is the way US foreign policy has worked for a long time.

Julian Lewis Shaw
Man, Myth or Monkey? Find out:
http://www.jlshaw.co.uk