Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] August 6th, 1945

Kate Adams kate@dnki.net
Tue, 06 Aug 2002 09:12:28 -0400

I'd probably be here, but my husband probably would not.  My Father-in-law
was a US Marine who served at Guadalcanal.  Though his service records my
Mother-in-law discovered that he did not make it back until mid 1946 - he
was part of the force that cleared the last of the resisting forces from
the outlying islands. (he never talked about it to most and rarely even to
her ...).  The bomb only mostly, not fully ended the war and that total end
was difficult enough without a full-scale invasion.

I find it really hard to second guess President Truman on that account.  We
have a lot more information now and a lot more leisure time to remake his
decision ad-infinitum or hold a wide ranging discussion or referendum on
history.  The most important point, however, is that we now know for
certain how terrible and horrible the use of nuclear weapons is and can be
- and those bombs were hand grenades compared with subsequenly developed
weaponry.  Given that terrible knowing, we have no excuses.