Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] OILS/Toad the Wet Sprocket

Stephen Scott stephenandeva@hotmail.com
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 06:44:15 +0000

I saw the Oils play with Toad the wet Sprocket in London years ago. I had
never heard of Toad before, and was interested in their silly name. (Fact
fans: They took their name from a Monty Pyton sketch about a band who had
the most stupid name in the world. Eric Idle wrote it and said he just made
the name up one day because he though no one would ever use it. He since met
the band and loved their music) Anyway, they were great. Their lead singer,
Glen Phillips (now solo) has a great voice and their songs had superb
harmonies, so, as usual, I had to go out and buy all their albums. Anyone
interested in finding out more, check out their best of..."P.S." This was
the only night the 2 bands played together. I can't believe someone saw the
Oils and the hunnas in the same gig. Now that would be heaven. I saw the
hunnas play with the late Dave McComb (ex lead singer of the Triffids)and
the red ponies. He was great, but the Red ponies voilinist stole the show.
He was mental. His name was Warren Ellis, and he went on to play with Nick
Cave, and joined the Bad Seeds, and anyone who has seen a Nick Cave gig will
know that he even competes with Nick Cave as the biggest spectacle of the
evening. He also plays with the Dirty Three.
Anyway, I'll stop rambling now.
See ya
Stephen

"This is a mad house....you'll be lucky to make it till Tuesday"