Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Tone Poetic Reference?

fish_oil@space.com fish_oil@space.com
Mon, 08 Apr 2002 14:47:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 08 April 2002, "Brian Mansberger" wrote

> Just a thought:
>
> "A statistical sham,
> an emperor's rags -- it's sad"
>
> George W. Bush? :)
> Brian

Hey, if the rag fits...

Here's another thought : I see the above line as
sensible only in light of "invisible hand clutching at
the throat" (a reference to Adam Smith's guiding
principle of capitalist self-interest serving the needs
of all members of society?) ie. the proposition that
global prosperity will bring about equality and
eradicate poverty - a sham; greedy manipulative
bourgois forces still hold the reins. And as with the
legend about the emperor's new clothes, we all end up
naked. It took a child to lay bare (oops) the truth ...
rant on, Oils.

There's no shortage of grist for the interpretive mill
in this tune, and that's for sure.

"There is no slogan that will feed ya"

bruce