Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] can we hold our own spoons?

Margaret Benzer benzer@mail.mc.maricopa.edu
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 14:34:52 -0700

I wasn't too happy getting the original post, but I read it because it needs to
be said.  It wasn't Todd's words but rather an article written by someone
else.  Many of the points made were some of the things that have been bothering
me about the events.  With three brothers and a brother-in-law who are retired
military or former military, there are chances that one or more may be called
back into service, especially the one who worked in intelligence, although his
specialty is Africa and not the Middle East.  The oldest still works as an
accountant at the NRO, not NSA, as originally posted, but as a contract
employee and not military.  I don't think they will need to call him back in
that capacity.

Hearing some of these commentaries, however off the wall they may seem to us,
also opens up discussion if taken the right way.  What if only what the
government wanted us to know was all that was allowed to be printed?  Do we
really want to live in that kind of society?  Also, in Oklahoma City, if the
government only let us know that it was terrorists from other countries and
didn't look closer to home, people wouldn't have raised a fuss if we went and
bombed a foreign country in retaliation.  But people did question if it was
someone closer to home that could have done it, and, lo and behold, it was.
I'm not saying that the terrorists weren't associated with bin Laden, but who
is to say that an American anti-government group didn't hire these foreigners
to do this and make it look like someone else.  I'd rather see speculation that
causes me to think than having everything spoonfed to me by the government.

Margaret