Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] NMOC: Sad commentary about society

Henry Longmore Henry.Krit.Longmore@m.cc.utah.edu
Mon, 17 Sep 2001 11:47:26 -0600 (MDT)

Here in SLC, UT (thank goodness I've lived in more places/states than
just this one ;) there was a semi-similar hate crime.  Some 31
year-old man got the "bright" idea to start a restaurant on fire...the
restaurant serves Indian and Pakistani food.

Fortunately, 2 teenagers saw this, and took down his license plate
number and put out the flames.  The story hit the local news, and the
next day, lots of people went to the restaurant to eat, to give
flowers, to show their support.  Law enforcement officials caught the
man and plan to prosecute this as a hate crime.

 }What gives these pro-America types the mentality that they can
 }shoot and kill someone who looks Arabic?  An Arizona State
 }University student was beat up on Thursday because he is Muslim.
 }Arab shops around town have been shot at.  The mosques are under
 }heavy police patrols for their safety.  Why can't people separate
 }what a terrorist does from his heritage?  Why punish all Muslims
 }or Afghanis for the actions of one?  Argh!!

Unfortunatly these people are most likely the ones who are already
prejudiced or racist.  Just a side commentary on opinions of such
people: I was riding a bus one day, and the only other people on it
were 2 drivers, 1 headed to the station, the other driving.  The
driver said he figured all people in the US who can't speak English
should be kicked out of the US.  Then he said, no, they should all be
lined up and shot.  I couldn't believe what I was hearing!  But, it is
generally people who have opinions similar to this who make the news.

Henry K.