Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Toronto/Montreal shows (again!)

Jonathan Hart oils@shaw.ca
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 20:32:57 -0700

Well, that was long overdue!  5 years in between gigs really does suck, and
made me realize how much I missed it.

Toronto: Much as everyone else said, the opening band was surprisingly good.
Good riffs, they were pretty tight.  Recognized a song.
Oils were definitely not themselves at first...I thought for a while that
either 1) I was too old and couldn't appreciate them anymore or 2) they were
too old and couldn't quite muster the energy!  I guess they were bummed at
the disappointing ticket sales as mentioned earlier.  Highlights: KotM,
Herc, RAI.

Montreal: Opening band pretty mich sucked IMHO.  Their guitarist was ok, but
they were just dull.
Oils WENT OFF!  Holy shit, it was rocking in a big way.  Crowd was so into
it - after the first encore, I turned around (from my front row position in
front of Jim's mike) and looked back and it seemed the entire crowd was
stomping/clapping/yelling - which was not the case in Toronto.  Absolutely
brilliant.  Highlights: Dreamworld, KotM, Herc, Luritja Way (really starting
to like that one!), RAI (yes again, played with a vengeance!)

Seems that Torontonians are a bunch of lazy bums! (Not you PWers who came to
the show!)  How can they sell only 400 tickets in a city of 4 million?
Montreal show was full (1500 people?) in a city of 2 million.

Anyway, can't complain on the money spent to travel from Calgary out east!
Worth every penny after that Montreal show!

Jonathan (Not the Wave!) Hart