Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Chicago Shows 10/20 and 10/21

Dan Heaton dnheaton@yahoo.com
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 07:53:39 -0700 (PDT)

Wow, it was amazing to catch the band again after
eight years. Both shows were amazing. I think they
were tighter on Saturday, but the Sunday show had a
better set list.  Either way, both shows were great!

I drove up from St. Louis on Saturday and immediately
went over to the House of Blues.  It's a decent venue,
although it's actually smaller than it would appear at
first. The view is nice from the front though. It's
also one of the few concert venues with a bathroom
attendant.  I think I dropped five dollars in two
nights just on that!  Still, it's a good place to see
the guys, especially after seeing them at giant
Riverport Ampitheatre in 1993.

Well, on to the shows.  Saturday was pretty much a
similar setlist to the ones they've played on much of
the tour.  I wrote down what I think is an accurate
list and will include it below.  From the first chords
of Redneck Wonderland, they really rocked the house!
Peter was all over the stage, and scared Martin
several times by nearly running him over.  Jim
displayed amazing guitar work, including some nice
solos and one extended one on Short Memory. I like the
tactic of moving Rob up close for the acoustic set
early on.  It really gives the concert a more intimate
feel. Only one encore though.  People were going crazy
throughout the show.  A definite highlight was No Time
For Games, which was a surprise. I figured they'd come
out again.  Perhaps it had to do with the venue.  Of
course, they did play two encores on Sunday.

I liked seeing them mix up the setlist on Sunday.  As
Judy mentioned, the crowd was more subdued on this
night, and it was much tighter in terms of personal
space.  However, it still was an excellent set.  They
mixed in Spirit of the Age, Stars of Warburton, and
Hercules.  Plus some of the new tracks were different.
Ending with Power and the Passion and Read About It
was classic.

I have to say I was very impressed with the new
tracks.  They're all really melodic and are as strong
musically as anything they've done.  Golden Age and
Too Much Sunshine have great choruses, and Luritja Way
is a treat accoustically.  Tone Poem and Mosquito
March were also good tunes.

It was great to meet up with many fellow
Powderworkers.  That really made the weekend special,
especially since I was traveling up there alone.  It
was cool to meet Tom, Judy, The Wave, Oilman, John,
Indi, Lina, and all the  rest of you. Hopefully I'll
see you all again next time around.  The set lists are
below.  These aren't official, but I think they're
pretty accurate. Enjoy the upcoming shows.

Dan

Saturday, October 20
Redneck Wonderland
Bullroarer
Too Much Sunshine
Dreamworld
Say Your Prayers
Beds are Burning (Up Front Now)
Short Memory
Luritja Way
Blue Sky Mine
Truganini (Rob moves back)
King of the Mountain
Golden Age
No Time For Games
Forgotten Years
Sometimes
ENCORE: The Dead Heart, Read About It

Sunday, October 21
Redneck Wonderland
Stars of Warburton
Dreamworld
Mosquito March
Say Your Prayers
Beds are Burning (Up Front)
Short Memory
Spirit of the Age
Warakurna
Luritja Way
Truganini (Rob moves back)
King of the Mountain
Tone Poem
The Dead Heart
Forgotten Years
Sometimes
Encore 1: Blue Sky Mine, Hercules
Encore 2: Power and the Passion, Read About It