Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Chicago HOB report

Judy Lai jlai@mad.scientist.com
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 07:59:28 +0800

Hey everyone,

My adrenaline is still pumping after watching the Oils last night and
Saturday night in Chicago!  My feet still hurt and my voice is still
hoarse but it was so worth it!

Saturday - Got to HOB a little later than expected due to Tom getting lost
in downtown Chicago and our plans to meet people in the restaurant were
thwarted by a private party, but we got nice and settled in line with a
handful of Powderworkers.  THE WAVE managed to find us (it helps that I
was one of the only asians at the concert!) and then there was a whole
lotta waiting before Will Hoge finally came on.  We were all in a clump up
front just off to the right.  Will Hoge played too loudly but it coulda
been worse.  (Nah, it wasn't that bad - I can say that I like their Rock
Star song.)

Will Hoge wrapped up, then it was another 20-30 minutes of waiting in
anticipation for the Oils to come.  FINALLY, the lights dim and the
curtains open and people start cheering and whistling and we got a little
OIIIILLLS chant going.  The guys walked out all in black except for Jim's
extremely orange(!) pants and Rob's red t-shirt and proceeded to totally
rock out belting out Redneck Wonderland.

Oh, it was so good to see them again!  They were totally on top of the
music on Saturday night and gave a really incredible tight
performance.  It's so energizing to look back and see Rob so incredibly
enjoying himself on the drums.  Unlike Will Hoge's drummer who doesn't
know any volume except LOUD, Rob can be laid back yet totally knock out
some awesome drumwork.  On the other end of the spectrum, Jim played it
calm and cool the whole night - I swear he only sweated three drops of
sweat the whole night!  Bones did get him to jump up and down, oh about
twice, during Truganini.  We even got Martin to sing at some point in the
concert (thanks Indi!)

Last night - the guys weren't as on as the previous night but man were
they having fun.  Jim actually let himself tap his foot this time!  Tom
and I brought a couple of signs saying "Sing Martin!" and "SWEAT HERE
PETER" which made Peter laugh and flick his sweat off his bald head into
the audience.  The audience was better on Saturday night (it seemed like
EVERYONE was singing) but there were still some people really getting into
it last night.  Our bunch was having a great time until some punk-ass
drunk guys decided to muscle their way up into our space along with three
girls who squealed too much.  (To be honest I was a little impressed that
one of the girls knew the words to Power and the Passion - it didn't seem
there were too many other females my age there.)

The encores last night were FANTASTIC!  Hercules, Power and the Passion -
what a way to end the weekend.

It was great to meet and hang out with other Workers like Tom, Indi,
OILMAN, the WAVE, Dan, John, everyone.  Wish we would be lucky bastards
like Oilman who still have several more shows on the agenda.  Oh well,
next year....

I'm probably going to bomb my midterm tomorrow but IT WAS SO WORTH IT!

Talk to you later,
Judy

--

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

Have you downloaded the latest calling software from Net2Phone? Click here to get it now!