Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Chicago H&B Sunday show

Galina Yune lina_yune@msn.com
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 10:05:28 -0500

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I got to the H&amp;B really early, around 4 pm.&nbsp; Sat down for a drink at the bar.&nbsp; The theater was really classy, with lots of interesting artwork.&nbsp; I felt a little strange, because I was wondering how many people would be there.&nbsp; Then I saw a couple with Oil t-shirts, and asked them if they were Powderworks.&nbsp; They kind of gave me the look, like "what'ya talking bout?".&nbsp; Then there was one guy who was just looking around, and he reminded me of myself (lost?).&nbsp; I asked him if he was a powderworker, and he was (really sorry, I forgot his name, but remember he is from St.Louis).&nbsp; Then we went for a drink.&nbsp; Coming out of the bar, I saw familiar face on the way out.&nbsp; It took me few seconds to realize - it was Bones.&nbsp; I then walked up, he shook my hand, and we chatted for few seconds.&nbsp; Then I ran into more powderworkers - Tom and his lady friend.&nbsp; Later on, Pete was just walking in.&nbsp; I walked over, and said hello, he shook my hand, and I explained I am with Powderworks.&nbsp; He said he didn't read a list a lot.&nbsp; Then I tried Where's Youth.....He then said "Here!&nbsp; Where's yours?" I said "here".&nbsp; We then chatted a while.&nbsp; Then we got in line to be the first in.&nbsp; I met really nice people up front, Linda and Jeff.&nbsp; The guy in charge of the show came down, and gave me, Linda and Jeff the after show backstage passes.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The show was beyond expectation.&nbsp; Will Hoge (I almost felt sorry for those Nashville guys)&nbsp; tried hard, they were ferry funny and likeable, but I just couldn't get into the groove (sorry).</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The Oils (just couldn't wait for them any longer)&nbsp; came on.....Wow! What a show!&nbsp; They started off with Redneck Wonderland, then they did???Dream World, then (I am using my memory now, because they didn't have many set lists, and Jeff will e-mail it to me)&nbsp; Say your Prayers, Spirit of the Age,....ooooH!&nbsp; They did Burning Beds, Deadheart, Truganini, few new songs (can't wait for CD), Warakurna, Short Memory, Read About It (I might be missing a few)....I was singing along word by word (my voice still here).&nbsp; Rob threw me the drumstick.&nbsp; I was just hanging on to it......They were all having eye contact with me, especially Martin (he was way on the other side) but kept on looking at me singing, and tried to sing too.&nbsp; And kept on just smiling....&nbsp; Bones did excellent singing, and I tried to keep harmony when he had his line.&nbsp; After show, we waited for everyone to leave, then they took us backstage.&nbsp; I got a chance to talk to everyone for quite a while (except Martin, don't know where he went).&nbsp; Jeff took few pictures (I dind't bring camera, cause didn't think the whole thing was going to happen like this....)&nbsp; and as soon as he sends them, I will share with you.&nbsp; All I can say, the guys were so nice, and despite the unlimited supply of beer available (I had few) right in the fridge,&nbsp; my last drink was plain water, and they were concerned with me driving 50 miles away (to my outback home in Wauconda).</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Sorry for long e-mail, but thought you all might be interested.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>