Midnight Oil

FW: [Powderworks] US Forces ?

James Warren jimcwarren@earthlink.net
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 19:13:34 -0800

Glitch wrote:

> I'd have to say yes to that.
> I definitely think "US Forces" would be a sensitive song to play right now
> considering what's going on in the world.

I disagree.  I really doubt that they would refuse to play
something, because it is too sensitive.  They played "Short
Memory" every US show so far, and also "Dreamworld."  Consider
the lyrics in these tunes, and you'll find links to some
very sensitive ideas.  Don't forget opening the shows with
"Redneck Wonderland" right at a time when racism in the US
has been ugly.  (I know brown-skinned US citizens who have
been told by ignorant people that they look like terrorists.)

I imagine they are choosing not to play "US Forces" for
musical reasons or because it has a particular message that
they do not want to focus on right now, but not because it
is too sensitive.  What percentage of Oils songs do not address
sensitive issues?

- Jim W.