Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] real thing lyrics

April & Craig April & Craig" <treeman@alphalink.com.au
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 20:32:29 +1000

I had the impression that it was a bit if anti-corporate song - i.e. The
Real Thing = Coca Cola
If so, it fits right in with the Oils. Also, as Jeff says, it's a lot of
fun.

Craig

http://treespirit.alphalink.com.au

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff and Jane Scott" <jscott@iinet.net.au>
To: "Stephen Scott" <stephenandeva@hotmail.com>; <yasmindalati@web.de>
Cc: <powderworks@cs.colorado.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, 2 October 2001 10:57
Subject: Re: [Powderworks] real thing lyrics / newtown show

At 2/10/01 12:47  +0000, Stephen Scott wrote:
>Is it just me, or are these the most inane lyrics that the Oils have ever
>sung.

it's not just you.

>  If I am missing the point, please let me know.

you're not missing the point of the lyrics (i don't think there is one).

you might be missing the point of why the Oils recorded it.  it's a bit of
an Aussie classic, being the number one single here for two weeks in 1969
(sandwiched in between two Beatles numbers - a fair achievement for a local
artist at that time).  the Oils obviously were growing up then, so they all
know it as part of their childhood, and it's a really good fun song to
play.  So they thought they'd have some fun and record it with the attitude
of if it's any good we'll put it out, if it's no good we'll just bin it.

remember, the Oils reputation as the worlds most serious band is not very
close to reality!  they do like to enjoy what they do as well.  i can't
imagine them ever writing a song like that, but that doesn't mean they
can't enjoy playing it.

i think that's enough from me tonight.  goodnight all!

jeff...