Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re:[Powd] Some thoughts/oily circumlocutory Thanksgiving rant

Todd Wulfmeyer Todd Wulfmeyer" <hasil@wimberley-tx.com
Wed, 21 Nov 2001 23:48:56 -0600

Chris & or Michelle wrote<<<"Well why the hell
couldn't this have happened for Redneck three years ago, it was soooo
great." He clenched his hands and got a really pained expression on his face
and said "Oh God, I know" and shook his head in frustration. I think he
knows that Redneck would have put them back on the world map if it had been
recognized and promoted at all in north america.>>

I know I felt at the time that Redneck would go gang busters through popular
culture also. I had since put the disappointment of the missed opportunity
to rest but to read the interpretation of Pete's reaction to the situation
makes me feel it all over again. To hear how much he seems to have felt that
the record would go over the top. Obviously the oils had an anomalous spirit
amongst them during that time. The listener can hear in the record, such a
deliberate and primal sincerity in that spirit that might have really cut
through to all the angstful culturally delirious souls looking for some
earthy truth and passions to turn their lives around. As it happened it
merely just swirled round the bowl and sunk.

To some it seemed at the time, that Redneck Wonderland might be interpreted
as the oils last tempertantrum like plea but luckily they have more to give,
and the hope keeps feeding out of the music of Rob, Peter, Martin, Bones and
Jim!

Some thoughts about the fall tour:...There is much to be appreciative of,
the Meet -n- greet, drum sticks and flyers are great ( I am very happy with
my Hirsty banger ) but the most important thing I got from the recent US
gigs, was the affirmation or nudge of hope. For listeners seeking the
pursuits of all the needs of planetary justice along with individualistic
wisdom untethered or influenced by propaganda and the misinformation
capitalist's wakes of fear, Midnight Oil are there.

The tour was a great cascade of energy raining down (much as Pete's sweat
did) from the joyous hope, rhythm, melody, tones, textures, words, poetry,
ideas of a group of gallant unfeigned souls can act as a sort of cure for
the apathy that festers in the rich with opportunity consumer sloths of the
"civilized" world.

We dedicated fans, should really take to heart, as I'm sure many of you do,
and create "blossoms" and lay "seeds" from the inspiration the band gives
us. This, imo, is what Midnight Oil is really about!
It sure ain't just about tokens, beer and groupies.

todd